Author Topic: RPM Models Ford Model T Ambulance, 1:72  (Read 1151 times)

Offline IanB

RPM Models Ford Model T Ambulance, 1:72
« on: September 12, 2022, 09:26:21 PM »
This little one is now finished and in the cabinet. For something so small it put up a good fight!

Originally intended as a quick OOB build, it quickly became apparent that a) It needed a lot of help, and b) I'm not capable of OOB builds!

A little background first. My Grandfather was a driver in the Royal Army Service Corps during WWI, serving in Dar es Salaam. He survived not only the war but also the bugs, diseases, wild animals, oh and a bad case of malaria that never really left him for the rest of his life. I remember him telling me he "crashed one of the first American ambulances because it was left hand drive and I forgot about the spare wheel on the other side. When I turned into the hospital the wheel hit the wall and knocked it down". I've no idea whether that was while still in Africa or after his return to the UK.

The only 1:72 scale ambulance I could find was this one from RPM which is basically sound but missing a lot. There is no upper panel for the rear end and the lower panel is wrong. Additionally, the running gear is horrifically clunky and lacking in detail. As a result, I designed and printed front and rear suspension/differential, wheels, steering wheel, and a full double rear panel including the canvass "bags" to accommodate the stretcher handles. I also replaced the running gear braces, steering rack, exhaust, cab awning brace, and headlight mounts, and added a starter handle, handbrake, and foot pedals, all from bass rod.

I'm pretty pleased with how she's turned out, I hope you like her!

PS If anyone knows of any British WWI ambulance kits in 1:72 please give me a shout!

Build log is here https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235111483-1917-model-t-ambulance-rpm-models-172/

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline malaula

Re: RPM Models Ford Model T Ambulance, 1:72
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 12:25:43 AM »
Good job on that little kit, Ian! I like the spoked wheels -as well as the steering wheel- a real improvement to the RPM offering.
There's a 72nd scale Vauxhall D-Type Ambulance by Roden which looks quite good-it even has stretchers!

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 05:44:58 AM »
Fabulous build on your little ambulance, Ian. And thanks for sharing the story about your Grandfather, which I found very interesting.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 07:54:55 AM »
I'm pretty pleased with how she's turned out, I hope you like her!
I would be too! Lovely work Ian and a great job improving what sounds like a fairly bare-bones kit.