Author Topic: WnW 1/32 Albatros D.Va Karl Hopf Jasta 76b - finished  (Read 4397 times)

Offline gedmundson

Re: WnW 1/32 Albatros D.Va Karl Hopf Jasta 76b
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2022, 01:30:47 AM »
As mentioned in my last update - the Barracuda intake manifold didn't allow the left hand cowling to fit properly, so I had to remove a good chunk of it and repaint before that cowling got glued into place.

I made small springs with fine copper wire for the cowling attachments, and drilled some holes to allow the etched metal front straps to be pinned into place with slightly thicker copper wire for strength.
Cheers,
Gary

Fine model ship rigging was used to make the section of the tail skid reinforcement wrap.

A handle and actuation rod were added to the upper wing

One of the painted lower wings, prepared for rigging with E-ZLine and Gaspatch 1/48 turnbuckles.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2022, 08:24:13 AM »
Stunning work Gary - I have a big smile on my face after seeing your latest update.
Zac in NZ

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2022, 05:17:54 PM »
Very beautiful!

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2022, 02:41:57 AM »
Thanks Zac & RH - you comments are appreciated.

Gluing on the top wing is always a challenge, but seemed to go well with a bit of help from my little clamps - applied with VERY gentle pressure while the glue set. Rigging was a bit tricky, trying to get EZ-Line to go into the tiny holes of the turnbuckles, of which some needed a bit of reaming out (but difficult due to the hardness of the metal.

I was able to glue the seatbelt over the side of the fuselage, but found the "double side printed" HGW belts a bit more stiff to manage than the single-side print ones. First time I've used these, but like them better than the etched metal kit ones.

Cheers,
Gary

I tried Bertl's advice on the exhaust - tried to get a bit of the same look with different mediums.

Finished off with a touch of chalk pastel.

I used a "helping hands" tool to pull tension on the EZ-Line rigging then applied a bit of cyano glue to the point of contact.

To add an effect of wear on the wing fabric, I used some Humbrol Khaki enamel applied with a piece of abrasive pad.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 08:23:15 AM by gedmundson »

Offline FAf

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2022, 03:55:31 AM »
It looking really good! I must say that all of these Albatroses/Albatri and the fabulous work done on them, really pushes me towards the ones I have in my own stash.

/Fredrik

Offline Luftace

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2022, 08:18:02 AM »
Excellent job on this Gary! Your painting and added details are top notch. Looking forward to the completion.

Chad

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2022, 09:47:24 AM »
What they said, she's shaping up so nicely!
Zac in NZ

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2022, 03:33:52 PM »
So , do you use a some short of a speed pill ? This one is going quick which is brillant so far ! :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2022, 11:58:44 PM »
Fredrick, Chad and Zac - thanks for the kind words!

So , do you use a some short of a speed pill ? This one is going quick which is brillant so far ! :)

Alexis

Thanks Alexis - it helps being retired 😎, but to be honest I was well into the build before I had a chance to post any pictures.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2022, 04:08:24 AM »
Thanks to some helpful advice from Bertl (Umlaufmotor) I was able to correct an over-sight on the colour of the lower wing roots, which should be in a natural wood colour. Also he also sent me a reference that showed that this aircraft had a datum line on the starboard side (not called for in the WnW instruction guide) and a flare pistol mount & rack by the pilot's right hand side. I incorporated these additions to make my build more accurate. Many thanks again to the generous help from Bertl!.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2022, 07:32:57 AM »
 I have been following this and it's an absolute joy to see this level of workmanship on what is my favourite aircraft.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline William Adair

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2022, 04:22:42 PM »
It looks wonderful.  Very inspiring!

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2022, 10:23:23 PM »
This is looking so nice!  I never realized the lower wing roots were wooden. Great additional details with the flare gun and flares. 

Offline Umlaufmotor

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2022, 03:55:59 AM »
Very nice decal scheme chosen and absolutely beautifully built.
BRAVO!

Servus
Bertl

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2022, 04:38:19 AM »
Great! Simply a joy to see your Albatros „come to life“!