Author Topic: micro drill bits  (Read 1240 times)

masterKamera

micro drill bits
« on: August 22, 2022, 08:57:07 AM »
I have a pack of the squadron minit drills in the blue plastic slider sleeve thing.

What is the right way to loosen them up in the package so they actually slide out?

Offline Dirigible-Al

Re: micro drill bits
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 10:43:25 PM »
I have to confess I have had difficulty with this. If I remember rightly I had to prize the thing open with a knife but once I had done that the top did actually slide OK. I can also remember loosing a couple of drill bits from that thing. Hopefully someone else will give you better help.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

masterKamera

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 12:50:01 AM »
the plastic slider slides fine. its the stupid drill bits that are stuck inside it. the larger ones shake about just fine when i shake it, the little ones seem glued in

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 02:15:14 AM »
I no longer buy those packs of drill bits partly for reasons explained already by you but also because out of the pack I only used the very small and the very big ones. I now get the sizes I want individually from Hannants (I think they were 30 pence each) and that works out better than buying a pack of which I will need only a quarter of its contents. There are also other online sellers of drill bits.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 11:47:04 AM »
    You may find this helpful, from our Vendor's Board. Good quality and prices and I believe he still provides a small discount to our Members. I've used them for years and quite like them.

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?board=71.0
Cheers,
Lance

masterKamera

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 02:25:42 PM »
i just got the kit becuase i have no idea what actual sizes i shall be needing. or what sizes i shall end up breaking the most.

masterKamera

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2022, 02:55:52 AM »
Well anyone care to tell me how I find a pin vise that works with a 1/8" drill bit?

Offline Radarman

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2022, 03:26:00 AM »
Well anyone care to tell me how I find a pin vise that works with a 1/8" drill bit?

Tamiya model 74112 works for bits from 0.1 to 3.2 mm. That will work for 1/8" bits as 1/8" equals 3.175 mm.

I found the bit on Amazon for $19.60 USD.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2022, 07:41:16 AM »
   ....... and I bought one from Drill Bits Unlimited.
Cheers,
Lance