Author Topic: Halberstadt Cl. II interior questions, rather specific  (Read 778 times)

Offline Luftace

Halberstadt Cl. II interior questions, rather specific
« on: August 18, 2022, 11:44:00 AM »
Hi all

I am building the 1/48 Mirage Halberstadt Cl. II and as the title suggests I have several inquiries to make and hopefully get some clarification on them. I have searched all over this forum and elsewhere to no avail. Please bare with me as I will try to be as thorough as possible and it may be a bit lengthy. Without further ado...

1.) Would the interior have been painted green as suggested in the instructions and as seen in the sole remaining example in Poland?

I understand that the preserved aircraft was actually used as a hack for a high ranking general as his personal transport, so could it have been specially painted for this purpose as opposed to just having a varnished wood interior like I have seen in so many other aircraft of this time? Is it known that Halberstadt actually painted their interiors similar to Pfalz doing so on their DIII fighters?

2.) When was the wireless equipment carried or not carried? What should be in the aircraft for a ground attack role, for example?

From what I have read, the transmitter/receiver units were only installed if the aircraft were performing a reconnaissance or artillery spotting type role, therefore should not be installed if configured for a ground attack role, to include the electric generator on the engine to power these. Is this correct? Were all of these components easily installed or taken out dependent on the given mission requirements for the day? Also, certain items such as the electrical wiring on the sidewalls and aerial antenna hand spool in the observer's station would have been ever-present regardless, would they not? Are those things that came standard on every aircraft as common equipment, therefore would not be able/necessary to remove as different missions called for either commo equipment or ordinance?

3.)What instruments were in the cockpit and where are their locations? I know next to nothing when it comes to wwi aircraft instruments and cannot identify them as easily at a glance (yet!) like I can usually do with 1940s era aircraft. I have been using the WNW PDF instructions for their Early Halberstadt Cl. II, downloaded from their website as a guide to further detail my 1/48 model. They show where to place the instrument decals of course, but do not label them as to what they are. No, I do not have their kit myself so I cannot reference the decal sheet directly to try to figure this out for myself.

The Mirage kit differs from the WNW kit as far as instrument layout goes. Example being the Mirage kit appears to depict a late style instrument panel when comparing between the two different ones WNW offers for their early and late kits. i have thus scratchbuilt my own to match the WNW early version. The large instrument on the WNW instrument panel is 1/2 red, 1/2 blue. What is it? I have yet to come across such an instrument in what little I can find so far in looking for wwi German aircraft instrumentation. Also, where WNW has a lever of some kind on the pilot's left hand sidewall, Mirage has an instrument mounted here, as seen in the Smithsonian's Cl. IV, but does not have the two instruments forward of that as depicted by WNW. What were those instruments?

4.) The rear bulkhead at the rear of the observers position. The WNW kit shows this covered with lozenge fabric, much like I have seen in the back of the cockpit of the Fokker D. VII. The Mirage kit doesn't show this, just the wood bulkhead itself. Would these have been almost always covered with a fabric panel to close off the rear of the fuselage interior?

Sorry for the long post guys. These questions have really been bugging me and I can think of no better place to ask these. i do Have a copy of the late Dan-San Abbot's book, Schlachflieger! on its way to me in the mail, so If any of you know if some of these questions are answered in that book, please let me know. Of course I will have a thorough investigation of it once it finally arrives.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

All the best

Chad
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 11:57:10 AM by Luftace »

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Re: Halberstadt Cl. II interior questions, rather specific
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 01:32:26 PM »
Hi Chad

Right from the get go there are two sources for the type of info you seek.

Windsock Datafiles are a treasure trove of detail info. Here's a link to the website:

https://www.windsockdatafilespecials.co.uk/

In addition, the instruction booklets for all Wingnut Wings kits are online and available for free download.

Wingnuts did two Halberstadt CL II kits and the link to the early version is:

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3189&cat=4

Here's the link to the late version instructions:

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3195&cat=4

The Wingnut instructions have all the internal colour data you will need. All free to download.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Luftace

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 01:50:35 PM »
Hi Dave

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I have the WNW instructions via PDF and am indeed using them seemingly more so than the Mirage kit instructions for painting and detailing purposes. I failed to mention in my original post as to what references I have to hand and do have the Windsock Data File 27 on the Halberstadt Cl. II as well as their Halberstadt Cl. II at War book. I have read both books a few times cover to cover already, and not finding the information I seek to my admittedly obscure and very specific questions. As far as the interior green color goes, was just wondering if this was the norm or if it is only the best we have to go with because the sole extant example is painted as such. That is more so a curiosity and failing attaining further thoughts or information with regard to this, I will paint it as per WNW. The real mystery I would like to know concerns the instrumentation and communications equipment carried on board for specific roles as stated above.

All the best

Chad

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 04:27:20 AM »
Hello Chad
I cannot answer all your questions but one of the most fastidious builders on this forum is PrzemoL and he is currently building a Halberstadt. You not likely to go wrong copying him.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline Luftace

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 08:57:03 AM »
Thank you for the heads up Alan

I will go check out his build log and see what he has done.

Chad

Offline Luftace

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2022, 05:27:28 AM »
So, I've still been thinking these things over, and as regards the color of the interior in particular.

I am leaning more towards the interior being more commonly seen as varnished wood as opposed to painted. My reasoning is that painting of interiors mostly comprised of wood at this time was not very common place, or so I have come to understand so far with my knowledge in this area being rather limited still. Also, the bigger clue for me is that all Halberstadt CL. IV aircraft seam to have the interior as unpainted varnished wood that I have seen extant in museums, having seen the one at the U.S. Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio in person a couple of times now. I do realize the trepidation in relying on museum aircraft as references for color etc. but having something to go off of is better than nothing I suppose. This is leading me to think that the sole remaining Cl. II in Poland may be a one-off example since it was used as a transport instead it's usual role for the type and could have been specially painted because of this. Thoughts?

Chad