Author Topic: Airfix Fairey Battle, upgraded!  (Read 1111 times)

Offline IanB

Airfix Fairey Battle, upgraded!
« on: August 17, 2022, 10:06:01 PM »
Hi all,
I've been rather quiet on here for the last few years, my apologies for that. I have been busy, just not with much WWI stuff. One of the projects I've had on the back burner for the last 4 years has been Airfix's old, and extremely inaccurate, Fairey Battle. I wanted one in my display case, but it had to look right. So I went for it!

After just over 4 years on and off (more off than on!) I have finally put this one in the cabinet. 

It represents Battle P2332 (the same subject as the kit) from 12 Sqn RAF, based at Amifontaine in mid 1940.

On 10th May, 4 of the Squadron's aircraft attacked German forces, 3 were lost.

On 12th May an order was issued to destroy the bridges over the canals at Maastricht - the whole Squadron volunteered! 6 crews were chosen - One had to turn back early due to technical problems, and the other 5 were lost. P2332, crewed by Flying Officer Norman M Thomas, Sgt BTP Carey, and Cpl TS Campion led the attack on the Vroenhoven bridge which was damaged, but not destroyed. F/O Thomas crashed near the bridge, all the crew survived and were taken prisoner. Pilot Officer Davy in the 2nd aircraft crashed on the way home.

The attack on the Veldwezelt bridge was led by Flying Officer Garland, with Pilot Officer McIntosh and Sgt Morland following. All 3 aircraft were shot down with only McIntosh's crew surviving as POWs. F/O Garland and his observer Sgt Gray were posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross, the first such award in WWII to RAF personnel, although for some reason the gunner, Leading Aircraftsman LR Reynolds received no award.

On 14th May another attack was carried out. 5 out of 6 aircraft were shot down, and the Battle was withdrawn from daylight operations.

Here is P2332 after that fateful raid.

Taken from the internet. Copyright, if any, unknown. If anyone objects I'll be happy to either take it down or add credit.

This is my little tribute to those brave men.
The WIP is here, showing how I went about turning one of Airfix's most notorious kits into something resembling what it should be. It's not perfect by any means, but I am very happy with the result!

To sum up, the fuselage, wings, and tail were all corrected for shape and dimensions. The wings were raised by a couple of mm (I didn't actually measure the amount, just matched to the plans) and the wheel wells, bomb cells, and landing lights were moved inboard to their correct positions. The interior is scratch built with the help of an instrument panel and seat modified from a MK I Hurricane resin set from CMK. The main gear fairings, rear radiator fairing, and gun mount are push moulded, Falcon vac canopy, PE landing lights, Mini World guns, and aftermarket exhausts for a MK I Hurricane.

Tailwheel is a resin replacement intended for the Airfix Defiant, the main landing gear, bomb racks, and bomb doors are CAD designed and printed by myself. Prop is the kit part, modified for the correct length and detailed.

Here's an idea of what was involved...

I hope you like her!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Re: Airfix Fairey Battle, upgraded!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 12:28:41 AM »
Lovely build, Ian!

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Bob  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Monty

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 01:37:28 AM »
That is a great build, Ian! It came out so well and was a real labour of love! Marc.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 05:32:14 AM »
Wonderful Ian, your considerable efforts really paid off with great results. Congratulations on a very impressive rescue of a kit needing a lot of help!
Cheers,
Lance

Online lone modeller

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 05:50:34 AM »
I followed your build thread on other sites Ian and appreciate the amount of time and effort that you have put into this model. I wish that I had the same amount of drive to do something similar.

A superb result and one that I would be very proud to have in my display case.

Stephen.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 07:41:42 AM »
I followed your build thread on other sites Ian and appreciate the amount of time and effort that you have put into this model. I wish that I had the same amount of drive to do something similar.

A superb result and one that I would be very proud to have in my display case.

Stephen.
Ditto here on all counts. I was a periodic follower on BM and was constantly awed by your efforts - your ingenuity is to be commended. Bring on Telford!...where Airfix will no doubt announce their new tool  ;D
Zac in NZ

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2022, 04:45:40 AM »
Absolutely brilliant work, Ian. A pleasure to see this post.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2022, 05:33:19 AM »
I LIKE IT!

Offline WD

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2022, 06:56:30 AM »
An excellent and beautiful build!  A true labor of love.

WD

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 10:31:07 PM »
Wow!! What an upgrade!! Beautiful work.

Steve

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2022, 04:04:30 PM »
Nice upgrades Ian , she turned out wonderful

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2022, 08:52:24 PM »
WOW! Great, Ian!!👏👏👏 (Airfix should - please- do a Battle in 1/48th scale for me - and maybe for a few other modellers, too..)