Author Topic: holes in wings  (Read 964 times)

masterKamera

holes in wings
« on: August 14, 2022, 02:18:16 AM »
Is it better to drill the hole before painting, and simply redrill it afterwords...

or is it better to use a tiny little nail to make a good indent on the wing surface BEFORE painting so as to reduce any skipping and paint damage when drilling a hole for rigging line in the painted and decaled wing

Offline macsporran

Re: holes in wings
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 04:34:10 AM »
Yes. I'll drill accurately first time before any sub-assemblage, then paint, assemble etc. When we're at rigging stage, give each hole a twist with the mini drill to clear it out.
FWIW
Sandy

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 04:48:43 AM »
I do the same as Sandy if I remember to drill them in the first place Once I pass this stage will use a pin and mark Location first then drill .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Edo

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 05:52:16 PM »
yes, me too....

Offline IanB

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 12:33:13 AM »
I always drill first too. That way I can mark out where the holes need to be without ruining the paintwork.

Ian

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 12:59:33 AM »
I always drill first and then run through again after painting.
That way when you snap a drill off (as I usually do) you have the opportunity to make good before painting  ;)

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

masterKamera

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 03:20:13 AM »
Started drilling holes in my goshawk.. easy to sand and cut that plastic but the drilling.. sheesh its going to be a labor of love.

Can only turn the pinvise so long, and very little to show for each go of it.

Noted on the lindberg bulldog, they actually put tiny dents where the rigging goes in... why doesnt that happen on modern models