Author Topic: Tamiya 1:32 Scale FG-1 Corsair IV, Lt. Robert Hampton Gray VC, DSC  (Read 1538 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
   I just completed this off topic Build of the superb Tamiya 1:32 F4U1D Corsair finished as a Royal Navy Goodyear built FG-1 Corsair IV flown off HMS Formidable in 1945 by the last Canadian awarded a Victoria Cross. Lt. Robert Hampton Gray, Royal Canadian Naval Voluntary Reserve perished leading an attack on 8 enemy destroyers at Onagawa Wan, Japan on the 8th of August 1945. The citation describes how, despite being wounded and his aircraft being on fire he pressed home his bombing attack and delivered a direct hit on his target which sank as a result. 
   This is a very impressive Kit, well engineered, superbly detailed, and a pleasant experience all round for an experienced modeller. I added a lot of After market items to the Build and I'm extremely pleased with the final product. It provided a nice contrast to my far more numerous WWI Projects and, along with a few other classics with what I call "Canadian content" I'm pleased to have it in my collection.

Cheers,
Lance

Offline gedmundson

Re: Tamiya 1:32 Scale FG-1 Corsair IV, Lt. Robert Hampton Gray VC, DSC
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 02:37:36 AM »
Wow Lance - that is a stunning model, and an interesting history behind the subject. Very impressive. The cockpit detail is superb - are those HGW seatbelts?
Cheers,
Gary

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 05:08:14 AM »
Beautiful work Lance! I know from experience these Tamiya kits are immaculately detailed gems - can you please share what aftermarket extras you used?

By the way if anyone wants a 1/1 Corsair in this colour scheme now's your chance! *some repairs required.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 10:58:25 PM »
Gary,
    Thanks for your generous comments, they are very much appreciated. The belts are indeed HGW, I really like their products and far prefer them to the Photo Etched and resin molded variety.
Zac,
    I used A/M canopy masks, Barracuda resin wheels and hubs, some main Markings from EagleCal's Set EC#163 (the "Tail and Serial numbers were produced by a fellow Member here and personal friend on his newly acquired printer), the HGW Belts and a great set of decal Placards and stencils for the cockpit from Barracuda as well. The latter were an exercise in patience however well worth the effort.
    The loss of this aircraft was a sad bit of news. The pilot during its initial period flying with the Vintage Wings group was a fellow pilot here in Cold Lake before he left the RCAF and started his own Aviation Consulting Business. I believe he's also one of the civilian pilots flying the Canadian F-86 in Golden Hawk's livery. I was rather envious when I read that he was, more or less, the main "Driver" of the aircraft! His Test Pilot background certainly brought in a lot of nice "perks"! As an aside I hope someone has the money and desire to put this beauty back into flying condition, it's a real loss to the historical aviation community.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 06:32:53 AM »
Lance , she is a beauty indeed , very well done !

Built the Birdcage version and the was a fun build , for a kit with a lot of parts , she does build quick

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 07:32:55 AM »
Superb work, Lance!
I've always had a 'thing' for the bent winged wonder, seeing your build has only amplified that feeling.

Looks like I will be adding another kit to the stash.

Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 11:40:01 AM »
Thanks very much Alexis; actually I took an inordinate amount of time to finish her but enjoyed the Build immensely! Bob, thanks as well, much appreciated. I can't recommend this Kit any more then I have, it's a superb piece of model engineering and production.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2022, 12:07:58 PM »
Magnificent work Lance, you have really brought out the very best in the Tamiya Corsair.

Special kudos for the cockpit work too, so realistic.

Many thanks for sharing this gem with us.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2022, 08:23:00 AM »
Add the same compliments for me on this one Lance !  My favorite WW II bird regardless of markings, the more the better !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2022, 12:18:13 AM »
   Thank you both. As an after thought it is regrettable that Tamiya have yet to produce a WW.I era Kit, their quality of product would be a real boost to our Hobby in any scale(s) and competition is always a good thing!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2022, 07:50:50 AM »
Sorry to be late to the party Lance and another of your museum quality gems. The finish and detailing are just outstanding - as we have come to expect from your skilled hands and eyes. A worthy tribute to a very brave young man.

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2022, 12:05:54 AM »
Stephen,
     Thank you for your kind remarks, they are very much appreciated. A very brave young man indeed, a hero to every school age boy of my generation at a time when we honored our heroes rather then just rewrite history or forget! An excerpt from a brief history of his life and service contains this touching fact; "The Japanese government erected a memorial on the shore of Onagawa Wan, Japan in 2006, close to the area where his plane is known to have crashed. He is the only member of a foreign military to be so honored by Japan.

https://militarybruce.com/canadas-last-victoria-cross-winner-lieutenant-robert-hampton-gray-vc-dsc-rcnvr/
Cheers,
Lance

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2022, 05:45:37 AM »
Great model, Lance. I have always liked the lines of that classic. Nice to see it modelled by you.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2022, 11:44:18 AM »
Beautiful work on an amazing kit. Tamiya has nailed the Corsair in all three scales. As a fan of Tommy Blackburn and VF-17 this kit is on the to do list. I hope I can achieve the results you have!

Steve

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2022, 10:36:22 PM »
   Thanks for looking and commenting Przemo and Steve, very much appreciated. As a coincidence several of us (Members of this Forum) did a mini "group build" of this kit, one the 1:48 version and from what I've seen the 1/4 Inch Scale Kit is just as spectacular. Tamiya really hit this particular ball right out of the park!
Cheers,
Lance