Author Topic: "Baby Killers" (German raids on Britain 1915-1918)  (Read 1272 times)

Offline jeroen_R90S

"Baby Killers" (German raids on Britain 1915-1918)
« on: July 31, 2022, 06:13:58 AM »
I've had this book for years (found it second hand at a used bookshop many years ago judging by the card still in there!) and took it on vacation.
It was first published in 2002, so not all that recent and  I have no idea if new or different information has turned up since.

The book is basically in 2 parts, the first half describes briefly the buildup of both Army and Navy Zeppeling forces, the defences (or lack thereof) and the later Gotha and Riesenflugzeug attacks, interspersed with contemporary witness accounts.

The second half is a gazetteer per location of where either aircraft or airships attacked, were shot down, crew were buried, bombs were dropped, relics or monuments can be seen today (as per 2002, that is...) etc etc.

Given it's 192 pages and about 20 of these are index and sources it is not super detailed since it spans 3 years.
It is very readable and seems a good primer for further research if you know next to nothing about the subject as I do/did.

However, one thing struck me as odd, none of te sources are archives in any form -neither local, nor newpapers, nor e.g. dairies or personnel files held in Government archive. All sources listed are either published biographies (from Zeppelin crew members for example) or other books. It made me wonder where the eye withness accounts that were interspersed with the text came from, for example.
As someone not very versed in ranks and stuff I also found the Imperal Navy ranks quite confusing and I had to look those up on Wikipedia ;)
The paper is standard "rough' paper so the photo's are not very well reproduced.

All in all a nice read for those hot summer evenings in the shade and one that made me want to start my Roden Gotha...
It can be found fairly cheap second hand.

Jeroen
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 06:18:53 AM by jeroen_R90S »

Offline rhwinter

Re: "Baby Killers" (German raids on Britain 1915-1918)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 04:14:11 PM »
Thank you for this review, Jeroen! No primary sources, hm… Not my cup of tea then, I guess.