Author Topic: Bad Day on the Bench  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
Bad Day on the Bench
« on: July 30, 2022, 12:46:17 PM »
I managed to screw up the DH-2 trying to work with clear coats.  I will have to strip the wings and tail as I have crackle coated the paint.  I miss the days when there were fewer choices, but the chemistry worked.  I had used Tamiya deck tan on the linen, MRP PC 10 early which is a bit dark.  Mission clear coat that came out pitted in spots.  The MRP also did not lay down with the same consistency.  Need to find another DH-2 decal sheet for the light wing roundels. >:(

Offline jeroen_R90S

Re: Bad Day on the Bench
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 05:54:53 AM »
 :'(

I've always feared and had issues with clear coats -they would not be gloss enough, turn orange-peeled, react with underlying paint or decals, etc... I've tried a lot of them, but I seem to have the best of luck with Tamiya X-22 and Mr levelling thinner... first coat thin then 1-2 wetter coats.
Hopefully you can fix it :)

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 08:34:38 AM »
Just looked at the wings and tail.  Will need to break out the Testors/Polly Scale Lift off. 

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 03:09:47 AM »
I've been using VMS clear coats for a while and have just tried Scale Colors.  Both spray straight out of the bottle and both seem to give best results with one ot two thin layers.

Stuart

Offline Allan31

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 08:53:25 AM »
Sorry for your woes, not fun at all.
Mission paints don't like to mix with anything else except Future. Even then they say not to.
I was heavily committed to MMP but I gave up, too finicky. Now I am a Vallejo guy. I have no problems and I can get high gloss or dead flat or anything in between by mixing the two.
Best of luck...
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Online DaddyO

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 07:14:57 PM »
Sorry for your woes, not fun at all.
Mission paints don't like to mix with anything else except Future. Even then they say not to.
I was heavily committed to MMP but I gave up, too finicky. Now I am a Vallejo guy. I have no problems and I can get high gloss or dead flat or anything in between by mixing the two.
Best of luck...

Hi Allan
Not wishing to highjack the thread, but as a committed water based (mainly Vallejo) painter myself could you tell me what varnishes you are using. I've struggled with W&N galleria for the gloss and found that the only tin of matt Dulcote I have is nearly at an end

Thanks
Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 01:42:53 AM »
I like Mr Hobby Clear III. It is a lacquer so you have to be a bit careful. Dust on a coat, then a relatively wet coat, let it set up for a few minutes - then the scary part - spray a wet coat of just Mr Leveling Thinner 400 with maybe just about 10% clear. Flash coating. The car guys do it. Try it on a junker. You will be pleasantly surprised

Steve