Author Topic: Caliver Books - caveat emptor!  (Read 1254 times)

Online macsporran

Caliver Books - caveat emptor!
« on: July 26, 2022, 07:39:08 PM »
An exchange of emails with this (UK) outfit today which leaves an unpleasant taste in the mouth.

Some weeks ago I saw a book on their website which was listed as vg condition, so I ordered it, gave cc details etc and received a confirmation of order email back from them in return.
After two weeks I had no delivery and no word from them of any problems so I sent a query email asking for update. No reply.

I checked my Visa account and no payment had been taken but I couldn't order elsewhere in case payment was then taken, so I searched their website and facebook page - and sent a request for an update to two other e-addresses I found.

Eventually I got a reply from 'Dave' to say my book was out of stock but they could sell me another at a much higher price!

When I queried this, again he (eventually) replied to say that they had listed a new copy in error - which I ordered, but they didn't actually have it (although they confirmed my order!). They did however have a used copy (and had had it for several months!) which they could sell me - but at the much higher price!

Maybe others would think this acceptable, but as a matter of customer relations, I don't and will not be ordering anything else from this outfit or their associated figures and building websites.

(To be honest I only really ordered the book to fill a gap in a series, so I certainly wasn't going to be duped into paying more. My assumption is that they got my order and then thought they should have charged more, so ignored my order and emails until I contacted via facebook e-address.)

Anyway, make of it what you will, but I don't see the point of ordering something from a company that may or may not decide to send goods, or even tell you of problems!
Worst of all when you do get a reply it not only lacks any form of apology but actually insults you for daring to ask where your order has gone! 

Sandy
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 10:03:40 PM by macsporran »

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: Caliver Books - caveat emptor!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 10:25:31 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. Sloppy work is one thing but defending and justifying it (at their leisure) is another.

Steve

Offline WD

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2022, 04:41:26 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Sandy, not a good way to do business or treat customers.

Warren

Offline guitarfool

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 06:56:57 AM »
That's your classic 'bait and switch' scam - offer something desirable at a good (low) price (the bait) and when they get a 'bite', say it's an error or out of stock and try to 'switch' you to something higher priced.