Author Topic: Painting figures...and other tiny things with a microscope  (Read 843 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Painting figures...and other tiny things with a microscope
« on: July 20, 2022, 09:22:30 AM »
After reading Gary Edmundson used a stereo microscope to paint figures and being defeated by my visual inability to see "stereo" another member Willem (Rookie) suggested I try a more basic scope with a screen. He pointed me to the COIN Microscope by Dcorn. I ordered it on Monday and got it Tuesday. Now for $90 Canadian you're not getting an extremely sophisticated instrument but it has potential

I'm still getting used to posting pictures sorry. Have to resize in imgur. What you're looking at is an old 1/35 figure with a 3/000 brush in front of it. The image is better than what I show(iphone camera held at an awkward angle) With a little practice this is usable I think. Smaller brushes may be the next acquisition.

Steve
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 09:34:21 AM by pepperman42 »

Offline Edo

Re: Painting figures...and other tiny things with a microscope
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 03:15:24 PM »
wow! you are getting figure painting to the next level!
now a single brush paintbrush is needed....

ciao
edo

Offline macsporran

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 06:42:39 PM »
Likewise, I also was impressed with the possibilities of Willem's post and had a look at what was available locally - coming up with a small LCD digital microscope from Elikliv via Amazon for the no-brainer price of 54GBP including delivery.
With Prime, this arrived the next day and immediately unboxed to see what would be possible.

While the distance from scope to baseplate is quite small, it is perfectly easy to rotate the scope 180degrees and sit on a shelf (with a weight  holding baseplate secure) and work hands-free underneath. You can also take the scope out of the bracket and move it manually over the work area to check what you are doing.

My one concern was that there might have been a delay between moving say, a brush, under scope and seeing movement on screen. There is no delay. It feels akin to a surgeon performing an internal micro-operation via a screen.  Lack of depth of field is a major disadvantage and will require some getting used to, but the magnification on tiny parts is stupendous and I think I will be using this a lot.

See picture of magnified seat buckle within the cockpit of a current project. The LCD picture is very clear but my photo has caught a bit of 'flare' off the screen. The buckle however is clearly visible.

A USB cable is provided so you can attach to your laptop or PC and view via a larger screen, (I have an old, (pre-smart,) 65inch TV connected to my workroom PC so could have the pictured buckle several inches wide on the big screen if I so wished!)

Well worth a few quid I think.
Sandy
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 06:56:07 PM by macsporran »

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 08:12:04 AM »
It's good to see you working with these tools so soon Steve and Sandy!

It's always hard to make a good picture of a screen. Something to do with lines and frames I guess.

I hadn't thought of the lack of depth-of-field. I do have that issue a little bit with my 5x magnyfying loupe-light, but with this kind of magnification the effect will probably be stronger.

I'm looking forward to see your painting results!

Willem