Author Topic: RFC SPAD VII Rigging Wire question  (Read 880 times)

Offline RAGIII

RFC SPAD VII Rigging Wire question
« on: July 17, 2022, 05:04:31 AM »
I have been staring at the Photo of the 19 squadron SPAD VII in the attached link.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/drakegoodman/10180877256/

I could be way off but it looks like landing and Flying wires are almost identical in size. Have the Double wires been replaced with RAF style aerodynamic wire. Are all of the wires RAF style or is it just Me?

All Opinions and discussion is welcome!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online Berman

Re: RFC SPAD VII Rigging Wire question
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 01:48:18 AM »
 Enlarging the photo, I see regular SPAD rigging. Replacing the factory rigging with RAF wires would have required stripping portions of the covering and fabricating multiple new attachment fittings.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 02:47:09 AM »
Enlarging the photo, I see regular SPAD rigging. Replacing the factory rigging with RAF wires would have required stripping portions of the covering and fabricating multiple new attachment fittings.

Thaks for taking time to look and reply!

I may have to disagree on this one. Here is what My Friend Tomasz ( Author of the SPAD VII Bible  8) ) had to say:

"Hi Richard, it seams  that both landing wires and flying wires were replaced with the British flat cables

But it was not common

Usually the British kept original French bracing on French-built Spads because it was much lighter.

J.M. Bruce found a note from February 12th, 1917 where it was stated:

"French cables should be used whenever possible; corresponding English cables much heavier."

Tomasz Gronczewski

But if there was a necessity to replace the cables, following weight equivalents were advised:

Tomasz Gronczewski

"Weights of cables should be used when English cables are employed on this type of machine:

Landing wire (outer bay)         35 cwt
Landing wire (inner bay)         35    “
Incidence wire (outer bay)           5    “
Flying wire (outer bay)         45    “
Flying wire (inner bay)         45    “
Undercarriage (front)            20    “
Undercarriage (rear)            20    “
Center section cross bracing         15    “
Elevator controls                5    “"

"

So it seems although rare this one has RAF wire. JMHO, and Tomasz seems to agree. Not saying I couldn't be wrong  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 05:52:19 AM »
I think I see RAF wires as well.
If it were the double wires with wooden spacers I'd expect 2 connections on the end of the double wires.
Note also that the wires that are normally single (landing wires I assume) look the same and on the French rigging they would have been thinner. Note also how much thinner the X rigging between the middle strut-that's-not-a-strut look.

Although there's no certainty if it were my model I'd use RAF wiring...

Jeroen