Author Topic: Junkers J.I - 1/72nd scale Eduard kit  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Stuart Malone

Junkers J.I - 1/72nd scale Eduard kit
« on: July 10, 2022, 02:23:27 AM »
Things are getting back to normal and I'm getting more time at the bench.  I'm picking up where I left off on my Junkers.  I'm hoping to have it done to take to the IPMS Nationals in a week and a half, but that may be a bit ambitious.

Stuart

« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 02:32:14 AM by Stuart Malone »

Offline RAGIII

Re: Junkers J.I - 1/72nd scale Eduard kit
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 03:31:45 AM »
Looking good Stuart. I hope you make the Deadline for the Nats. I sure wish I could Go.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 05:31:00 AM »
Blimey Stuart - It takes me a week to decide what colours to use  ;D

Got one of these on the shelf so looking forward to seeing it come together

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 10:59:00 PM »
The top wing is on and everything looks straight.  Take a deep breath, carefully put the tweezers and glue brush down, and slowly back away from the model.  Worry about cleaning up the joints and paint later.

Stuart

Offline WD

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 04:56:23 AM »
That's VERY green Stuart. :)

WD

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 01:22:36 AM »
Excellent work Stuart. It is always a Great Feeling when the wings are Mounted. Even Better when they stay that way  ::)
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 01:45:30 AM »
I agree with Rick - but frequently the tweezers are part of the jig when I am assembling my models....!

Best of luck with the next stage.

Stephen.

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2022, 02:06:36 AM »
Thank you everyone.

Rick, yes, without 'outer' struts, it was very challenging; for me anyway.  I had more walk away moments than I care to admit.

Stephen, with the tunnel vision of an optivisor, I usually knock out one strut for every two I get in place with the tweezers. 

WD & Paul, from the Junkers J.I Windsock Datafile, I went with 27D5 for the green, 4B5 for CDL, and 24B4 for blue.  My next one will incorporate 15D4 for mauve/lilac.

Vallejo Model Color mixes
Green 27D5 - 4 parts 70.974 to 1 part 70.891
Mauve 15D4 - 4 parts 70.812 to 1 part 70.907 to 1 part 70.944
Blue 24B4 - 2 parts 70.808 to 6 parts 70.907 to 1 part 70.885
CDL 4B5 - 70.916

Stuart

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 06:43:22 AM »
It didn't get done to put on the table at Nats.  I couldn't be bothered sitting at the AirBnB working on it while all my roommates were having fun at the convention!  So here's an update on where it's at now.

Stuart

Offline WD

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2022, 06:46:53 AM »
Beautiful work sir!

WD

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2022, 06:03:20 PM »
Looking great Stuart!

I have one of these in the stash and have been too scared to tackle it due to those impossible looking struts. You've done a bang up job on them; any tips?

Cheers!

BC

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2022, 11:02:23 PM »
Looking great Stuart!
RAGIII

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2022, 02:29:49 PM »
Looking great Stuart!

I have one of these in the stash and have been too scared to tackle it due to those impossible looking struts. You've done a bang up job on them; any tips?

Cheers!

BC

Brad,

Sorry, I missed your post before I headed out to Nats.  I would say this is the one kit a biplane wing jig would have been beneficial.  Most of the time I can't work around them, but with this kit, since there are no outer interplane struts, a wide set jig would work beautifully.  UMM USA has them if you don't own one.  If you don't go that route, and decide to glue them all to the lower wing and try to get the top wing to set on them just right, may god have mercy on your soul.  This is how I did it and it took many attempts to get it all right.  I wasn't smart enough to pair up the struts and make sure they were the same length on both sides.  I had lots of fiddling to do.  I fiddled a bit too much on a couple of the struts.

Stuart

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2022, 12:33:19 AM »
Great effort Stuart
Catching up with mates is the best bit of meetings so definitely the right call not to stay in the room beavering away  ;)

I was slightly shocked to read an earlier post in which you mentioned 'the next one'  ??? :o (Some people are gluttons for punishment)  ;D

Cheers
Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2022, 04:31:55 AM »
Great effort Stuart
Catching up with mates is the best bit of meetings so definitely the right call not to stay in the room beavering away  ;)

I was slightly shocked to read an earlier post in which you mentioned 'the next one'  ??? :o (Some people are gluttons for punishment)  ;D

Cheers
Paul

I may have been presumptuous.  I dug out my old Merlin J.I from the parts bin that I had started years ago and promptly lost all the tail parts.
 I glued on the alternate tail parts from this Eduard kit.  I figured I could scratch out the struts and landing gear using one of my other two Eduard kits as the template.  This seemed foolish as if I wanted another one, just build one of the Eduard kits.  So back in the parts bin went the Merlin and then my thoughts wandered to an Eduard Spad, which I have never built, so back on the shelf went the two Eduard Junkers.  I still want to do another J.I with the lozenge fabric and green and mauve wings, but I am feeling the urge to rig something again.

Stuart