Author Topic: WnW 1/32 Albatros D.V Ernst Udet Jasta 37 September 1917  (Read 2008 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: WnW 1/32 Albatros D.V Ernst Udet Jasta 37 September 1917
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2022, 09:53:28 PM »
Gary, your completed model looks absolutely real!  The figures are done superbly.  Do you use oil paints on the figures?

Offline ModelCellar

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2022, 05:57:14 AM »
That looks fantastic! ...love it =).

Paul

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2022, 05:57:49 AM »
Thanks everyone for your kind remarks about my Albatros - I'm quite humbled and appreciative.

You've done it again Gary, magnificent! Your detailing as always is top drawer and the clean finish with just "enough" weathering brings a wonderfully real appearance to the model. I hope to see this beauty in person next year in Nanton with any luck; this break in a "normal" existence is getting a little "Old" these days! Maybe we had too much fun at the last Contest and are paying the price .........!!
Cheers,
Lance

Thanks Lance - yes - it would be nice to get together again if and when they have another Alberta show, wherever it is! There's an armour one in Edmonton in late August which I figure I may attend at the Kingsway Legion. I believe it's just for AFV's, figures etc.

Gary, your completed model looks absolutely real!  The figures are done superbly.  Do you use oil paints on the figures?

Thank you Ken. I usually base coat my figures with Tamiya Flat black for the uniforms, and a neutral grey for the faces, but paint everything in thin, dilute glazes of Vallejo acrylics. I used to use oil paints, but just ended up making a thick mess of my faces. And they took forever to dry. But I'm having better luck with the acrylics, which dry quickly and can be applied in very dilute amounts (but not quite as easy to blend).

Cheers,
Gary

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2022, 12:00:09 AM »
Another quick question Gary. Do you use the wet pallet for acrylics or do they dry slowly enough(or you're fast enough) to blend?

Steve

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2022, 12:10:53 PM »
Another quick question Gary. Do you use the wet pallet for acrylics or do they dry slowly enough(or you're fast enough) to blend?

Steve

Sorry Steve - I just caught this question - Yes, I made my own wet pallet with a tupperware lock'n'lock, some sponge material, and a piece of parchment paper from the kitchen. A few drops of Vallejo paint will last a couple of weeks or so (I keep it in our spare fridge!) and it makes for a great mixing pallet. The paints themselves dry quickly, so blending is done more with dilute glazes overlapping each other. The more dilute, the better. It's taken me literally years to experiment with that, so lots of practice helps.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2022, 11:12:04 PM »
Outstanding modelling Gary and the figure painting really lifts this into the real world mode.

Many thanks for sharing your figure painting tips too- much appreciated!

This is perfection in modelling.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2022, 11:39:38 PM »
Thanks Gary. Your practice has definitely paid off.

Steve

Offline WD

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2022, 12:45:22 AM »
Stunning!  Well done sir!

WD

Offline Allan31

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2022, 01:23:35 PM »
Great looking wood, thanks for sharing
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Offline Monty

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2022, 10:47:49 PM »
Quite an amazingly beautiful Albatross, Gary! And of course your amazing figure modelling just makes the whole scene spectacular! Well done and a really enjoyable experience just studying this lovely model... Regards, Marc