Author Topic: Copper State Models hints at a Siemens Schuckert D.1 kit  (Read 2997 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Copper State Models hints at a Siemens Schuckert D.1 kit
« on: June 23, 2022, 10:55:57 AM »
Copper State Models is considering doing a 1/32 Siemens Schuckert D.1 and has appealed on its Facebook page for photos and information on details for the aircraft.

"Anyone for a 1/32 Siemens-Schuckert D.I ? Currently we are trying to find any info regarding the cockpit layout, and equipment used" Edgar posted on the social media page.

Unusually he did not seek feedback from the Forum members who may well have access to the sort of information Copper State needs for this project.

The Siemens Schuckert D.1 was reportedly a German copy of the Nieuport 17 and Edgar says the idea is to use parts from Copper State's Nieuport 17 kit in this project. The German version was obsolete before entering service in 1917 and most of the machines built went to training units.

Feedback to the Facebook post has shown modellers would prefer Copper State develop a Hanriot HD.1 kit, however you can see the logic of getting maximum use from the Nieuport tooling.

If anyone has Siemens Schuckert D.1 cockpit detail photos or detailed information on power plants and the like, please post it here to assist Copper State.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

masterKamera

Re: Copper State Models hints at a Siemens Schuckert D.1 kit
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 06:15:44 PM »
As much as it hates me to say it,

Siemens-Schuckert D.IV  being released soon as a special purchase aircraft for the Flying Circus Volume 2 game at il2 sturmovik.

I know its not a D1 version, however i believe the team that did the actual 3d design and modelling actually had documents for the D1 version.

Offline WD

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 10:14:37 AM »
As much as it hates me to say it,

Siemens-Schuckert D.IV  being released soon as a special purchase aircraft for the Flying Circus Volume 2 game at il2 sturmovik.

I know its not a D1 version, however i believe the team that did the actual 3d design and modelling actually had documents for the D1 version.

Have you written Copper State to let them know that 1C Studios has these documents then?
Also, why do you hate to say that the S.S. D.IV is being released by 1C for FC 2?

WD

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 11:00:36 AM »
Could this mean that a Nieuport 11 is in the works and the SSW D.I is a derived offering?

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 07:35:59 PM »
Hi all,
Although I think is good CSM are looking into another mode, I think this aircraft is a bit like the WNW Gotha UWD - an aircraft of limited use.
I think more interest would be shown if CSM pushed on with the 'Star Strutter'.
Just saying  ;)

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 09:43:35 PM »
I'm with Mike on this one. If this project doesn't delay other, different subjects I guess it's ok but I can't imagine the research, tool costs etc wouldn't tie up valuable resources for a relatively small company.

Steve

Offline macsporran

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 01:53:19 AM »
I'd buy one.
I was sufficiently interested to convert one from a 1/72 Revell Nie17 way back in my schooldays and had actually thought of doing the same again with a CSM kit.

I've no idea what the inside of the cockpit looks like though - my references back then were the useful three-view plans and half a dozen b&w pics in the old Harleyford "Fighter Aircraft if the 1914-18 War" which along with Harry Woodman's book were my bibles.
Sandy
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 02:05:33 AM by macsporran »

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2022, 11:06:17 AM »
An odd choice, to my mind. There's still an opening for some new kits of popular subjects (Albatros D.I-D.III, perhaps) that would sell extremely well. An SS D.1...? Meh.

BC

masterKamera

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2022, 02:09:57 PM »
An odd choice, to my mind. There's still an opening for some new kits of popular subjects (Albatros D.I-D.III, perhaps) that would sell extremely well. An SS D.1...? Meh.

BC

but everyone seems to make a model of one of those albatross variants... and commonly for each factory making them.

What WOULD be of use, is the lesser known planes that have not had a kit made in decades.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2022, 02:40:51 PM »
Reading Edgar's post I don't think Copper State has committed to producing a 1/32 Siemens Schuckert D.1, they are at this time gathering reference info with a view to possibly adapting their Nieuport tooling to this type, and on that basis you can see the cost benefits of doing this versus tooling up a wholly new subject.
That said the wider question is how popular would another Nieuport-like kit be? Just on the externals the SS D.1 looks to me like a Nieuport 17 with a pointy spinner.
If Copper State wants to maximise the Nieuport tooling I would, personally, be more in favour of perhaps a new RFC boxing with new marking options and perhaps as a diorama package with an assortment of Copper State's great figures to dress the scene.
Ultimately I am in favour of all new WW1 releases but looking at the original post I read this project as 'in addition to' rather than 'instead of' other announced Copper State projects such as the Bristol Scout and the Starstrutter.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2022, 02:51:20 PM »
What WOULD be of use, is the lesser known planes that have not had a kit made in decades.

Don't get me wrong, I welcome any new kit of any subject. My point is simply one of business sense. But as we know, WW1 kit manufacturer's don't always look at things from a pure business perspective.

Anyways, enough from me.

Cheers,

BC

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2022, 12:09:40 AM »
Hi
I echo everyone’s comments from welcoming any new kit to other kits such as Hanriot and the CSM treatment on an Alby 111 (or SPAD) would be most wecolme !
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2022, 11:52:08 PM »
If we're talking strictly 1/32 an Albatross DIII would be welcomed from CSM. Yes Roden has done it but it is a challenging build above and beyond the normal biplane  requirements. Part of the interest is driven by the knowledge of CSM's amazing abilities!!   

Steve

Offline macsporran

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2022, 02:10:08 AM »
(Roden Albatross DIII) ...  is a challenging build above and beyond the normal biplane requirements

Hey Steve
What parts of the Roden Alb build did you find challenging?
 - not intending any sort of disagreement, but I am surprised as I found it a very straightforward easy build. Maybe a little fettling required around the lower wing attachment, but everything else fell into place, even the strut fixing points.

Certainly some of the other 1/32 Roden kits are very challenging - the Nieuports especially - very difficult unforgiving kits, but not the Albatri, in my experience.

I've also built the CSM Nieuports and think they are superb kits, but they also have a few difficulties - specifically the fixing of the forward fuselage panels so as to eliminate any gaps. They don't just fall together out of the box. So I'm not sure I'd want CSM to waste resources launching another good Albatros, when we desperately need a Hanriot, a Halberstadt DII, an FB5, a Br14, a Jenny, etc, etc, etc

As I say, I don't want to fall out with a respected fellow listee, just surprised to hear a good kit (in my estimation) called challenging.
Cheers
Sandy

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2022, 06:41:32 AM »
Hey Sandy, never would fall out with you. You're building abilities far outdo mine. I build with two left feet so that brings in the challenge for me. My understanding was the interior is incorrect and engine/fuselage fit was more than just fettling. Have I built it-no (which is mostly the case on any kits) - I was strictly going on recollections -which these days are one of my REAL challenges!! I gladly stand to be corrected.

Steve