Author Topic: Another old bloke returning to the hobby...  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Mark Newton

Another old bloke returning to the hobby...
« on: June 15, 2022, 08:53:24 PM »
G'day, fellow plastic wranglers,

Like many others here, I'm returning to scale modelling after a long break. I used to be a member of IPMS here in Sydney, eventually becoming the magazine editor. I enjoyed doing that, but it limited the time I had available for actual modelling.

http://magazine.ipmsnsw.com/pdf/07-1.pdf

A change of job and residence meant that I was no longer active with the club, and I went back to railway modelling instead. I might add that I work for Sydney Trains, but don't model my own railway.

Last year a conversation with a workmate led me to visit a nearby hobby shop that I didn't previously know about. I was amazed at the variety and quality of modern kits - nothing like what I remembered from the 1980s and 90s. I bought a few models, and started looking around for information to bring me up to speed. That in turn led me here. The standard of modelling featured really impressed me, as well as the obvious good nature of the forum's discussions, so I signed up.

My main previous modelling interest was Great War aircraft, particularly two-seaters of the Central Powers, and biplanes generally. That's still my primary area of interest, but I'm also interested in civil aircraft from between the wars, naval/maritime aircraft, Japanese twins and Great War armour. My main scale is 1/72 for the aircraft and 1/35 for the armour. One thing that's surprised me is the speed at which I've gotten a "stash" again!

I look forward to posting my modelling projects and the discussions that will follow. To ease myself back into modelling biplanes I'm starting with a pair of Eduard kits for the Albatros D.V and Nieuport 17.

All the best,

Mark.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Re: Another old bloke returning to the hobby...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 09:20:19 PM »
G'day Mark

A very warm welcome to the Forum, we are really happy to welcome you back to the hobby and look forward to seeing your builds.

You will find the folk here are the friendliest and most helpful modellers on the Internet and the Forum, which has been running for 10 years now, is a one stop shop for all things WW1.

The Forum is based on the Gold Coast in Queensland but our members cover the planet which makes us a truly international club.

Thanks for joining and I hope you find plenty here to help your modelling.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 09:40:04 PM »
Welcome back Mark from a fellow recent returnee

(I know exactly what you mean about acquiring a stash in very little time)  ;D

I've got one of the Eduard Nieuport's on the bench at the moment and there are plenty of cracking version on here as well to inspire

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 09:43:56 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Mark.  The magazine you edited looks quite extensive.  Must have been a lot of work.

Good luck with your projects.  We are all willing to share what we know and have experienced.
Don't hesitate to share your work here.  We are all still learning.

Offline Grant

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 10:00:18 PM »
Welcome Mark!

I'm in the same category as you, returning to the hobby after many years away. I just finished my first plastic model kit in 20 years and enjoyed it a lot. Lots of very skilled craftsman on this forum to learn from, and everyone has been very helpful an encouraging. It is amazing how fast one's stash grows once you start looking at all the amazing kits out there!

Enjoy,

Grant

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 02:03:15 AM »
Welcome back to the hobby Mark!! You will find everything you need here to catch up!! A great group to help you on all matters.

Steve

Online RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 02:24:46 AM »
Welcome to the Forum. I am looking forward to seeing your work! I know you will find tis a great place to Hang Out.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2022, 04:19:09 AM »
Welcome back to the fold!
Enjoy!!

Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2022, 07:48:26 AM »
Welcome back Mark! I can only echo the sentiments of those who posted above: you are among friends, ask any questions and I'm excited to follow along with your builds!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2022, 11:46:19 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Mark, you are definitely in the right place. I hope the return to the Hobby and particularly the rewards of membership and participation here provide you with lots of enjoyment, this is a good place to be!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2022, 10:22:28 PM »
Welcome to the forum and welcome back to the hobby.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Monty

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2022, 07:11:06 PM »
It's great to have you joining in, Mark! Enjoy your time here! Regards, Marc

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2022, 08:14:12 AM »
Welcome Mark, read your mag,great info for the time and now!

Offline Mark Newton

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2022, 08:37:26 PM »
G'day Mark

A very warm welcome to the Forum, we are really happy to welcome you back to the hobby and look forward to seeing your builds...

Thank you for the warm welcome Dave, and thanks also to everyone else who replied and welcomed me. I'm sure I'll enjoy my time here. I started work this evening on the Nieuport and Albatros, so I should start posting photos. I'm assuming I'll need to upload them to a hosting site?

Cheers,

Mark.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2022, 09:45:02 PM »
Maybe a little late, but a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will find al members friendy and helpful. There is a lot to learn, and there's always someting for everyone. There is tons of info here on all subjects.

About finding a hosting site; you may want to look here:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=98.0

Have fun,

Willem