Author Topic: 1/32 Swedish SK.2  (Read 1085 times)

Offline The_Magnificent_Squadron

1/32 Swedish SK.2
« on: June 03, 2022, 03:10:31 AM »
complete is my first resin kit, a Lukgraph FF.33L, finished as a post war Swedish built machine known as a SK.2, only 2 FF.33L were known as SK.2s while the other two were FF.33Es. no known photos to me of these aircraft so i based the scheme upon that of the FF.33e but with the numbers of the FF.33ls, being 19 and 18
what do you think?

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: 1/32 Swedish SK.2
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 05:05:08 PM »
It is a very interesting presentation of the Lukgraph kit. I like it very much - such a rarely seen scheme.  :)
Though I regret that you did not remove some visible traces of 3D print trees and resin form blocks from the struts... :-\
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 06:43:31 PM »
Well done! Looks great and an interesting scheme - how was the kit? I haven’t built a resin plane although have tackled some AFVs in this medium… lukgraph is certainly prodigious in his output!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2022, 02:04:47 AM »
Excellent build of an interesting aircraft. Nice to see a more unusual scheme!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline DaveB

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 09:52:48 PM »
That's a lovely job and great to see different markings

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2022, 10:53:30 PM »
Ditto all the above comments, Excellent work, different scheme !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 07:01:29 AM »
Lovely work TMS, what a superb representation.
Zac in NZ

Online lone modeller

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2022, 04:59:03 AM »
Superb model of a type not seen very often.

Stephen.

Offline torbiorn

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2022, 05:30:19 AM »
Always happy to see Swedish machines, and I have a soft spot for those that float, so this is right up my alley. Love it  :)

The paintjob looks spot on to me, very neat model. The scheme dates it approximately to the earliest late 1922, when it was issued that the previously black floats of all Navy float planes were to be repainted light blue.

There are pictures of the Sk2, though the story is a bit complicated. The Swedes bought two German-built FF33L (designated ”Friedrichshafen smaller” in Sweden) in 1919 that were written off after crashes already in the same year. How they were painted I have no idea and I have not seen any pictures of these. The planes were operated by the Naval air service, who decided to replace them by making copies, a task that befell TDS - the Torpedo department at the Stockholm naval yard. The navy has abandoned it, and one of the workshops is a restaurant now. In case anyone goes to Stockholm I can recommend a visit, the island where it is located is a bit of an oasis in the busy centre (or at least it used to be). Sorry, digressing.

The designation of the pirated reverse-engineered version  was Friedrichshafen type 20-22 Swedish, or just ”Friedrichshafen Swedish” Although I have seen second/third-hand sources claiming they were copies of the FF33L, I believe they were actually copies of the FF33E with some modifications - but I’m not sure! In any case the new planes received the same numbers as the original German FF33Ls, Fb (”Flying boat”) nr. 18 and 19. I have seen photos of at least one of the machines, I can try to find them if you want, but they may reveal that it looked more like an FF33E  :-[.

The FF33E and FF49C were designated ”Friedrichshafen larger” and ”Friedrichshafen largest”, and this naming convention makes it a bit confusing.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 06:00:35 AM by torbiorn »

Offline macsporran

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2022, 07:11:18 AM »
I recorded appreciation for the WNW ladder on another site, TMS, I'll properly express appreciation for the actual kit here!
Nice one
Sandy

Offline The_Magnificent_Squadron

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2022, 06:01:13 AM »

Thank you all, I appreciate the feedback, i may have gone in the deep end with a seaplane for my first resin kit, especially with the heavy floats  ;D

The designation of the pirated reverse-engineered version  was Friedrichshafen type 20-22 Swedish, or just ”Friedrichshafen Swedish” Although I have seen second/third-hand sources claiming they were copies of the FF33L, I believe they were actually copies of the FF33E with some modifications - but I’m not sure! In any case the new planes received the same numbers as the original German FF33Ls, Fb (”Flying boat”) nr. 18 and 19. I have seen photos of at least one of the machines, I can try to find them if you want, but they may reveal that it looked more like an FF33E  :-[.

the scheme is painted is based on that of the FF.33E from the techmod kit and another paint scheme, ive only ever seen one photo which definitely is a E version with the number 22, or a number ending in a 22 at least. if you have any other photos id like to see them even if it proves my model to be inaccurate  ;D

Offline torbiorn

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2022, 02:57:47 AM »
Found these online.

The original FF33L in 1919:

https://forum.flyghistoria.org/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=10679

Two images of the Swedish-built replacement:

https://forum.flyghistoria.org/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=10680