Author Topic: WW1 Aerial Maps  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Todd Holaday

WW1 Aerial Maps
« on: January 14, 2013, 06:54:50 AM »
Can someone please point me in the right direction?  I'm trying to find an internet source or book that has examples of maps used by WW1 Pilots.  Thanks!

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 01:01:41 AM by Todd Holaday »

Offline Todd Holaday

Re: WW1 Aerial Maps
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 01:02:06 AM »
The more I look into this subject the more I'm surprised at my lack of success at finding information.  I'm probably not searching correctly.  One major question I have is whether the maps they used were reconaisance photos or cartographic maps.  I also notice that many builders and the WNW Re8 kit use color maps.  I'm seriously doubting that whatever they used was in color.  I don't know the history yet well enough, but I'm pretty sure the photos would have been black and white and I'm guessing any printed map would have been as well.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 02:34:39 AM »
The more I look into this subject the more I'm surprised at my lack of success at finding information.  I'm probably not searching correctly.  One major question I have is whether the maps they used were reconaisance photos or cartographic maps.  I also notice that many builders and the WNW Re8 kit use color maps.  I'm seriously doubting that whatever they used was in color.  I don't know the history yet well enough, but I'm pretty sure the photos would have been black and white and I'm guessing any printed map would have been as well.

I wonder, were they even actually regularly issued maps? I mean, the front lines hardly ever changed,  patrol sectors were often quite small and close to the airfield; I would imagine many missions were flown with a sketch on the back of an envelope type thing. But I could be (probably am) totally wrong.

I remember reading in -- The Fighters, I think? -- a story about -- Guynemer? maybe? -- navigating somewhere using a Michelin road map. Will have to try to find that.

Offline dirk

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 03:42:25 AM »
Hi Todd,

follow the link for examples and pics :) of Michelins European Western Theatre Of War Map 1918

http://www.omnimap.com/catalog/int/europe.htm

Dirk

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 04:27:58 AM »
Interesting source, great place to get lost in (sort of a bad pun sorry)

Couldn't find the particular map you referred to, but I did find this...  :)

Offline dirk

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 08:21:46 AM »
So here it is:

http://www.omnimap.com/cgi/graphic.pl?images/ngs/66-22612f.jpg

As can be read on the following link ...European Western Theatre Of War Map 1918. National Geographic Society Maps. Printed in May 1918 a short time before the end of World War I, this map shows the western theatre of war in France and Belgium. Details of battle lines make this map a unique and compelling historical piece perfect for collectors...

The link to the general side: http://www.omnimap.com/catalog/int/europe.htm

with greetings,

Dirk

Offline Todd Holaday

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 06:56:33 AM »
I have an example or two of maps I'm finding from the early 1900's.  Can't figure out how to post a picture.  Can someone please tell me?

Offline Todd Holaday

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 07:12:18 AM »
Thanks for the links to the historical Nat Geo maps.  I looked at the 1915 and 1918 examples.  Since the scale of those maps covers all of europe and down in to Africa, it's hard to imagine a pilot using these in particular.  Maybe they had more localized maps of the same quality.  If the printing of this map is typical then the maps were predominantly black and white with some colored shading along the borders.  I'm guessing that the recon photos were also not used by the pilots since their purpose wasn't predominantly straffing or bombing.

If I was going from this limited information I would take a map of similar appearance to the Nat Geo images from 1915/18 and scale it down to 1:32 for placement in the cockpit.  The RE8 I'm working on from WNW has a decal that is supposed to represent a map.  It's obviously so small you can't make out any detail but the impression it gives me is more of a Google Earth satellite type image map rather than one like the Nat Geo prints (which seem more likely).

All this may seem kind of foolish since it is such a minor detail, but it is these kinds of little details that add interest and wonder imo.  Thinking of a pilot in an open cockpit trying to figure out if the bend in the road below him matches the foldout map he is trying to hang onto so it doesn't blow away is a wonder.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 07:47:46 AM »
I have an example or two of maps I'm finding from the early 1900's.  Can't figure out how to post a picture.  Can someone please tell me?

The image needs to be hosted somewhere, and you need its URL (internet "address"). For images you find on the net, you can right click in most browsers to copy an image's url. Then when you compose a message, do this:

Offline Todd Holaday

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 02:34:20 PM »
Thanks Bo and congrats on being featured modeler.  I enjoyed reading about you and your work.