Author Topic: Dr1 588/17 of Ltn Richard Wenzl  (Read 1737 times)

Online DaddyO

Dr1 588/17 of Ltn Richard Wenzl
« on: May 31, 2022, 02:04:23 AM »
Having mentioned this one in a previous thread I thought I'd post a few pics now that it's approaching the finishing stage.  :)

Ignoring the aborted attempt at a Nieuport 23 (which became more of a test bed for techniques) This is actually the first plastic model kit I've completed since I were a wee boy although in the intervening years I've painted lots of figures and built many a flying model. These included, as it happens, 2 previous DR1's; one freeflight rubber model of about 14" span and a bigger one for control line with a whopping 48" span.

Anyway back to the present. One of the things which became apparent with the Nieuport was the amount of dust I was acquiring in the finish painting by hand so this is also my first attempt at using an airbrush as well  ???

Here are a couple of pics from the earlier stages. Since the kit came with some etched brass I took the opportunity to put the interior together using this. In retrospect I'd probably use strip to build the interior frame, but it looks okay in the picture. Model was then sprayed with Vallejo air acrylics 'beige/cream' mix on top and a light blue underneath and the dreaded streaky finish attempted again with acrylics (I know they are a pain to spray and use for this sort of thing, but I'd got plenty from painting figures and thought learning to handle a completely new type of paint would be a step too far so the plan is to paint the whole thing with water based paint . .  .)

Final pic is of the earlier flying model built a few years ago for indoor flying which is still lurking in the loft somewhere along with a Hasagawa 1/8? tripe partially built by my dad

Paul

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Online RAGIII

Re: Dr1 588/17 of Ltn Richard Wenzl
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 11:19:51 PM »
In that scale the PE looks good. Your Dr1 is coming along nicely for sure.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online DaddyO

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 12:05:52 AM »
Cheers RAGIII - certainly fiddly, but satisfying when it's done  :P

Online DaddyO

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 09:22:52 AM »
Thought I'd add a few more in progress shots since this bird is almost completed

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 11:09:11 AM »
Looking great, DaddyO!
Zac in NZ

Offline WD

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 12:26:32 PM »
DaddyO, I think it looks great!  What I came back to this almost 20 years ago the Eduard kit is what I chose too. You've done a much better job out of the starting gate than I did sir!  (I've had to leave and come back several times since and relearn everything over and over again.  :-\ )

I think this build looks fantastic so far.

WD

Online DaddyO

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 07:23:50 PM »
Looking great, DaddyO!

Cheers matey. Lots of inspiration to be found on the forum.  :D

DaddyO, I think it looks great!  What I came back to this almost 20 years ago the Eduard kit is what I chose too. You've done a much better job out of the starting gate than I did sir!  (I've had to leave and come back several times since and relearn everything over and over again.  :-\ )

I think this build looks fantastic so far.

WD

Many thanks WD.  ;D

I couldn't resist the bargain Eduard 'du doct nicht' boxing and after much fiddling about and cooing over the parts I eventually started with this one. I didn't fancy masking all the stripes so I looked for a different scheme (although I hadn't spotted the checkerboard leading edges 'til I'd already started) To be fair there has been a lot of 'choice' language with this and I needed to buy a spare kit after sanding the struts down too far with the original  :P

Hopefully posts some finished pics of this one at the weekend
Paul

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2022, 07:30:32 PM »
Hey there DaddyO - this one is shaping up very nicely. A very fine return to the hobby, if I may say so. And a great choice of aircraft.

I like what you have done with the streaking camouflage. I am building the 1/48 Eduard cousin and this is something I am playing with as we speak.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers,

BC

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2022, 08:43:17 PM »
Excellent out come with the streaking , love the weathering as well , good show !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online DaddyO

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2022, 09:12:23 PM »
Hey there DaddyO - this one is shaping up very nicely. A very fine return to the hobby, if I may say so. And a great choice of aircraft.

I like what you have done with the streaking camouflage. I am building the 1/48 Eduard cousin and this is something I am playing with as we speak.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers,

BC

Cheers Brad.
The streaking was something I need a few practice goes to get right and even then when I first applied it looked a bit too regular. Luckily I discovered that I could scrub the surface with a wet brush which had the effect of removing some of the dried acrylic and making it look a bit less even  8) In some light it looks a bit too brown, but the advantage of using a standard colour that allowed me to retouch where necessary was important.

Excellent out come with the streaking , love the weathering as well , good show !

Alexis

Thanks Alexis. You can't see much weathering against the streaky finish and I wasn't sure how to achieve a slightly tired appearance on it so I left alone at this point apart from some satin varnish mixed with 'oil' colour streaks around the cowling area.

Paul

ps - just reading through your 'don't get pushy with me' thread and really enjoying how it's coming together. I especially love the castor oil staining on the wings - top marks

Online RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2022, 11:32:15 PM »
Lovely Little Triplane Paul. You are doing excellent work, especially after a 40 year break!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online DaddyO

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2022, 03:03:30 AM »
Lovely Little Triplane Paul. You are doing excellent work, especially after a 40 year break!
RAGIII

Thanks RAGIII Certainly a change from my usual fare.  ;D
Steep learning curve, but plenty of threads on here to inspire and techniques are much more freely widespread. (When I was last at it you'd beaver away and proudly present to one and all unaware of what was possible unless you happened to belong to a club or go to a show. These days with forums and easy internet access you can hit a stumbling block and quickly have several options available by simply typing a question)

Paul

Online DaddyO

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2022, 09:48:42 PM »
Right folks I'm calling this one completed.
Plenty of bits that could be better and few silly mistakes, but time to move on to the next one.
Hope you like it as much as I enjoyed making it (in a weird eyestraining kind've way)  ;)

Paul

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2022, 12:13:20 AM »
Looks great, Paul.  What scale is this? looks very small.

Online DaddyO

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2022, 12:33:06 AM »
Looks great, Paul.  What scale is this? looks very small.

Thanks Kensar
It's 1/72 (or at least that's what the box tells me!)  ;), but you're right it's a bit of a tiddler (Still it won't take up much room in the cabinet)

Paul