Author Topic: WnW Albatros D.V "Ernst Udet" complete  (Read 8124 times)

Offline gedmundson

Re: WnW Albatros D.V "Ernst Udet"
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2022, 07:34:53 AM »

Regarding the aviattic lozenge, I am sometimes using a bright grey oil filter (Abteilung faded white) to give them a more bleached appearance.

Best,
Tim

Hi Tim - thanks for that suggestion. Would you brush paint that onto the decalled surface, thinned with mineral spirits??
Cheers,
Gary

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2022, 11:48:49 AM »
One of the little details of the Albatros D.V are the small spring attachments that were attached to the front of the cowling sections. I made these from fine copper wire culled from an old unused electrical cord. The wire was wrapped around a #80 drill bit and the ends were bent down to form a reasonable facsimile. The two nail heads on the access cover had to be removed later...after I took the photo  ::)
Cheers,
Gary

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2022, 09:02:48 PM »
Nice detailing work, Gary.  The ones on my Albie were made from a wound guitar string.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2022, 11:39:06 PM »
Nice detailing work, Gary.  The ones on my Albie were made from a wound guitar string.

Thanks Ken, handy to know - I have a few of those  8)

Offline Grant

« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2022, 04:22:06 AM »
Gary,
Very nice Les Paul, had a starburst just like that when I was 17 but it was stolen.
Now I have Gold Top, love me some Les Paul, they are my favorites.
Going out jamming tonight with an old friend. What's you style of preferred music? Mine is blues and old 70's rock.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2022, 07:37:11 AM »
What's you style of preferred music? Mine is blues and old 70's rock.

Thanks Grant - exactly the same - good ol' classic rock and blues. In fact I find myself trying to work through the lead solo to "Aqualung" when I should be working on my Albatros  ::)

Speaking of which - with the top wing now on I was faced with a very tricky bit of rigging. Trying to get four lines into the top wing for the aileron control cables which exit the fuselage in front of the wind screen. I ended up using some 2lb fishing line filament, just cut long enough to disappear into the fuselage, and crazy-glued into the holes in the panel under the upper wing. This is the down-side of the D.V vs. the D.Va (which had cables in the lower wing).

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2022, 09:17:42 AM »
Those cowling springs...why don't we have a *brain explosion* emoji? WOW!
Zac in NZ

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2022, 04:17:50 PM »
Those little details are awesome Gary , weathering sets them off beautifully

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline TimDEFR

« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2022, 04:20:25 PM »

Regarding the aviattic lozenge, I am sometimes using a bright grey oil filter (Abteilung faded white) to give them a more bleached appearance.

Best,
Tim

Hi Tim - thanks for that suggestion. Would you brush paint that onto the decalled surface, thinned with mineral spirits??
Cheers,
Gary

Hi Gary,

Yes, exactly. I sealed the decal before with some varnish as I wasn't sure how well it would go with the thinner.

Great work otherwise, love the different sheen between cowling and wooden panels on the last picture.

Best,
Tim
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 05:56:12 AM by TimDEFR »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2022, 10:55:04 PM »
Excellent detailing Gary! I was Not Successful on any of My DV builds with those four wires. I ended up just running sprue through the four holes and down into the fuselage area. Well done on yours!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2022, 11:32:46 PM »
Excellent detailing Gary! I was Not Successful on any of My DV builds with those four wires. I ended up just running sprue through the four holes and down into the fuselage area. Well done on yours!
RAGIII

Thanks Rick, to me this one piece of rigging on a D.V makes it a tough build. Even my attempt at placing in the small pieces of filament had to be repeated until they all secured properly in their holes...and all the time I was handling the model...breaking off the wind screen etc. (which is only held in place with Future). So I'm very much looking forward to building a D.Va soon!

The rigging was completed with EZ-Line, and now I'm done. As much as I tried to align that engine in the fuselage, this kit makes it mandatory that it is perfectly centered ...or the micro-gap between the spinner and cowlings will look misaligned. As a result (and you don't know until the cowlings are all in glued in place) I was out by a fraction of a millimeter...and therefore had to shamefully glue my propeller into the front of the engine. I ended up quite liking the scheme as it turned out, and decided not to try and weather it down after all, but just airbrushed a bit of dust here and there...and also added some subtle streaks of Tamiya X-19 smoke.

I'll later add a few "finished" photos to the "Completed" category in the Forum.
Cheers, and thanks to all who followed along!
Gary

Offline dr 1 ace

Re: WnW Albatros D.V "Ernst Udet" complete
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2022, 04:51:54 AM »
Really Gorgeous !!!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2022, 10:12:39 AM »
Magic work!
Zac in NZ

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2022, 09:37:36 PM »
Oh, that looks superb, Gary.  The chipping and weathering on the cowling looks fantastic.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2022, 10:08:10 PM »
   Very nicely done Gary, great detailing, lovely finish and I enjoyed following your masterful process as she "morphed"  from a bunch of plastic bits into a beautiful model. Looking forward to seeing the Completed section photos.
Cheers,
Lance