Author Topic: WnW Albatros D.V "Ernst Udet" complete  (Read 8090 times)

Offline Grant

Re: WnW Albatros D.V "Ernst Udet"
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2022, 03:28:35 AM »
Just beautiful workmanship,  WOW!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2022, 09:29:39 AM »
The wood looks beautiful Gary, and I hope the nail heads aren't too stressful for you as I think they'll really make it pop.
Zac in NZ

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2022, 07:27:28 PM »
Sorry to chime in so late Gary.

I just now read your whole build log and you amaze me (again) at the level of detailing and craftsmanship.

The engine with the lead magnet wires, the rope-wound manifold intakes and the prop are beautiful.

The squiggly effect texture on the ammo cans looks a little like our zinc plant watering can and the cockpit with the control lines from the control column is very convincing.

I love the woodgrain you made on the panels. When I first looked, I thought they were decals!

The use if the riveting decals really add something. It must have been a hell of a job!

Looking forward to seeing this progress  :)

Willem

Offline Monty

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2022, 08:24:03 PM »
This is brilliant work, Gary! And some great explanations and photos too! I am so pleased to see that amazing wood finish on the fuselage - and keeping that yellow colour the Brits reported so often! Regards, Marc

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2022, 03:14:21 AM »
Looks awesome! Masking over the previously oil painted panels wasn't a problem? The nail decal process looks like fun.

Steve

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2022, 03:54:05 AM »
Thanks to all who commented.

Willem - I appreciate the time you took to mention your observations, and I quite enjoy passing along my experiences if it helps others on their builds, or to try something new.

Looks awesome! Masking over the previously oil painted panels wasn't a problem? The nail decal process looks like fun.

Steve

Thanks Steve - I actually sprayed a clear coat on all of the panels as I went. Which meant I removed the tape from one session of oils, and waited a couple of days for them to dry. Then airbrushed on X-22 gloss, and waited for that to dry before re-masking and continuing with more panels. The tape did make a mark on the gloss surface of the previously painted panels...but disappeared after I re-sprayed it with X-22. It was a bit of a slow process - but a safe way to go forward.

The nail-head decals have been the same - protecting each step with X-22 gloss as I go. Also, I used MicroSol to apply them, as opposed to the manufacturers recommended Mr. Marksofter or Mr. Markset. I just experimented with the Microsol beforehand on a small section before using the bigger, more important sections. You get plenty of spare strips in my "Albatros D.V/Va" set. Plus I bought two sets to be on the safe side (and I have more Albatros kits ;))

Cheers,
Gary

Online RAGIII

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2022, 04:30:55 AM »
Now that is a gorgeous Wood Fuselage Gary!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2022, 06:47:35 AM »
I quite enjoy passing along my experiences if it helps others on their builds, or to try something new.
Gary, thanks for sharing your wood panel process. As you said it may not be a quick one but the results speak for themselves!
Zac in NZ

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2022, 02:53:53 PM »
Breathtaking work Gary - real 'jaw on the floor' spectacular modelling on display. I'll just chuck my models against the wall now and make something out of Lego....

Seriously your work is an inspiration and I really appreciate the way you have walked us lesser souls through the 'how to' steps to achieve your results. Thats one of the biggest advantages of our Forum, the way members share their knowledge and help others.

Its modellers like you that make our Forum what it is and I really appreciate you sharing your inspirational work with us.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline DaveB

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2022, 10:10:55 PM »
Wonderful work so far, Gary -

Brilliant wood tone effects on the fuselage.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2022, 04:46:21 AM »
Nice variations in the wood tones

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2022, 05:12:22 AM »
Thanks again to all for your kind words! I’ve had to take a break from the project due to last minute travel, but hope to be back to the bench soon.

Breathtaking work Gary - real 'jaw on the floor' spectacular modelling on display. I'll just chuck my models against the wall now and make something out of Lego....

Seriously your work is an inspiration and I really appreciate the way you have walked us lesser souls through the 'how to' steps to achieve your results. Thats one of the biggest advantages of our Forum, the way members share their knowledge and help others.

Its modellers like you that make our Forum what it is and I really appreciate you sharing your inspirational work with us.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Dave, I have to tell you that your comment made my day, I appreciate that more than I can describe. Thanks and I hope to get a few more updates soon 🙂
Cheers,
Gary

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2022, 08:11:33 AM »
Spectacular work at every detail.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2022, 10:54:05 AM »
I have a little more progress to share on my build. With the fuselage buttoned up I had to add a couple of items to the left side of the cockpit. An auxiliary throttle handle (stowed position) and a linking rod to the spark-control handle (if you've built this kit you'll know what I'm speaking of!). My photo is deliberately over-exposed to see the cockpit interior. It was tricky to do this with a pair of tweezers and the utmost concentration...and some cyano glue on the end of a very thin wire.

Decals are on to the fuselage, and if you squint hard enough you can make out the nail heads.

I'm using the 1/48 scale Gaspatch turnbuckles which are much more realistic than the over-scale (in my opinion) 1/32 ones.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2022, 05:07:46 PM »
Beautiful work again Gary!

As I said before, the nail heads really add to the realism.

I agree with you on the turnbuckles. Sometimes it's not about scale, but about what looks proportionally  right.

The lozenge on the wings and the rudder give a nice contrast to the wood of the fuselage.

Willem