Author Topic: CSM Caudron G.3 question: what colour would the aerial tube be?  (Read 927 times)

Offline clive_t

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me with this...

I'm currently trying to build the CSM Caudron G.3 cockpit assembly, and I am struggling to work out what colour I should paint the aerial tube, a vertical pipe thing mounted on the port side, inside the cockpit. The instructions only mention that it's an optional part, to be used only where wireless Comms equipment is fitted - which it will be on mine. There is no painting information for it, or none that I can determine anyway. My guess would be either something metallic (e.g. brass, copper, iron etc) or that weird blue colour that is used elsewhere on the model, but ideally I'd rather not guess incorrectly.

Any assistance, therefore, would be gratefully received.

Thanks, Clive

Offline rhwinter

Re: CSM Caudron G.3 question: what colour would the aerial tube be?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 08:01:38 PM »
Clive, try contacting Edgar Liepinsh of CSM directly: He's with us here on the forum and a very supportive guy, too!

Offline clive_t

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 11:00:56 PM »
Thanks very much.

Clive

Offline clive_t

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 06:16:35 PM »
As a follow-up to this, I would like to publicly thank Edgar for his quick, and very helpful, response to my query yesterday.
Not that it would be that easy to tell for sure, from old black and white images, but his theory is that the tube could possibly have been made of Bakelite - something I had not considered. It does seem plausible, though. I just need to work out how to paint plastic to look like an early form of plastic!

Thanks again to Edgar, and to Mr rhwinter, for your help.

Cheers,

Clive

Offline WD

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 04:06:31 AM »
Clive,
         I remember handling WWII German Bakelite items decades ago when I was a collector, and I recall them as a dark reddish brown color. I had reason to paint a throttle handle this color on an off-topic build and used a bottle of Mr. Hobby/Mr. Color #131 "Propeller Color" paint that matched the back of IJN props on Zeroes. It looks like that early dark brown Bakelite to my eye. Your madness may vary.

HTH!

WD

Offline clive_t

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 04:26:41 AM »
DW, thanks for your reply, I had a mind to attempt some kind of red-brown colour for it. Good to know that at least one other person agrees!

Cheers,

Clive

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 07:16:14 AM »
If you use the brand, my go-to for Bakelite is Tamiya XF-9 Hull Red.  8)

Offline clive_t

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 07:30:31 AM »
Zac, I have been known to use the brand, and it so happens I have exactly that colour to hand, so thank you for the recommendation :)

Clive

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2022, 07:47:40 AM »
As a follow-up to this, I would like to publicly thank Edgar for his quick, and very helpful, response to my query yesterday.
Not that it would be that easy to tell for sure, from old black and white images, but his theory is that the tube could possibly have been made of Bakelite - something I had not considered. It does seem plausible, though. I just need to work out how to paint plastic to look like an early form of plastic!

Thanks again to Edgar, and to Mr rhwinter, for your help.

Cheers,

Clive

You're welcome, Clive!

Happy modeling!
Richard

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2022, 07:20:20 AM »
Zac, I have been known to use the brand, and it so happens I have exactly that colour to hand, so thank you for the recommendation :)

Clive
Always happy to help! Some may find it a little dark but it works for me.