Author Topic: Gunze Sangyo paint purchase  (Read 1348 times)

Offline george southgate

Gunze Sangyo paint purchase
« on: January 13, 2013, 01:30:36 AM »
Hello,
I understand the Gunze Sangyo paints cannot be sold by dealers in the U.S. Does this rule also apply to purchases through a foreign hobby dealer? However, every once in a while someone on site talks about using Gunze Sangyo paints.  Are they older paints or could they be obtaining them by some other method.  My question is: If I purchase several bottles of paint through a foreign dealer, can the order be shipped through customs by the foreign dealer?  What happens to my order, is it returned to the dealer?  Then the dealer has to remove the paint bottles and resend any additional ordered items?
George Southgate

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Gunze Sangyo paint purchase
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 01:58:21 AM »
I don't think your premise is entirely true. It seems more like a distribution CF than an outright ban. They are still available from a number of US suppliers if you hunt around. That said, I've pretty much switched over to Tamiya for most colors as I find them equal or superior in quality and much easier to find.

Offline george southgate

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 02:32:56 AM »
Bo,
Thank you for your reply.
George

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 05:34:27 AM »
I meant to add that Sprue Brothers has some GS paints in stock (although marked as discontinued), as do several Amazon partners; google around and I think you can find what you need...

Cheers,

--Bo

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 05:48:29 AM »
Gunze paints are readily available in Australia with plenty of stock available. From memory, I think there was an issue in the States with Gunze paints because the labels were not printed in English, I could be wrong but this rings a bell to me from discussions on other forums some time ago.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 06:21:50 AM »
Gunze paints are readily available in Australia with plenty of stock available. From memory, I think there was an issue in the States with Gunze paints because the labels were not printed in English, I could be wrong but this rings a bell to me from discussions on other forums some time ago.

Des.

You might be right, I don't know the exact details, but there seems to be a difference between the availability of the "aqueous" colors and the other GS products like Mr. Surfacer that this doesn't explain, as they also lack English labels and directions.