Author Topic: Eduard Sopwith Camel Comic due for June release  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Eduard Sopwith Camel Comic due for June release
« on: May 09, 2022, 09:53:13 PM »
Eduard have advised their much-anticipated new 1/48 Sopwith Camel Comic night fighter kit is due for a June release.

The Profipack kit will feature six interesting marking options.

In addition, Eduard will also be releasing a special 3D aftermarket accessory covering the Upper wing Lewis guns and Foster mounting.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ondra

Re: Eduard Sopwith Camel Comic due for June release
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 10:06:47 PM »
Great news indeed, I can't wait to get the sample from Eduard for review.

Should I find something special about the kit, I will share here on the forum.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 09:32:20 AM »
Ondra

I will be requesting the new Eduard Sopwith Camel Comic kit for review on the Forum. Hopefully we will be able to provide a detailed look at the latest Camel incarnation on our review board.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Bughunter

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 06:03:30 PM »
Great news indeed, I can't wait to get the sample from Eduard for review.
Ondra, what do you want with 1/48?  That's at least two sizes too big for you!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline ondra

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 06:38:42 PM »
I do not actually build them, but I get samples of Eduard's WWI new kits for review purposes.

Still, they are very helpful while preparing plans for my 1/144 scratchbuilds. :)

Offline Galwitz

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 02:57:39 AM »
Just curious about the No.44 (HD) squadron.

Can anyone point me to a reference photo for the machine with blue/white knight helmet marking? I searched thru few of the books I own, as well as online, but did not manage to stumble upon any.

Is B2402 marking in right colors, specifically the two white stripes? This is a scheme I have seen in an old(er) Windstock magazine. The newer Osprey's book on Camel has the stripes blue. The latter makes more sense - the original B flight markings was blue/white/blue stripes. I am aware of the photo of this machine showing the two stripes in "white(ish)" shade, but blue would show as such on both common and orthochromatic photographic plate unless a yellow filter was applied. The left stripe of the tail tricolor also shows as "white" where I would assume blue.

Offline WD

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 10:51:25 AM »
I sure wish Eduard/Vladimir Sulc would scale this one down to 1/72nd. I know, I know, the sales of their 1/72nd scale Nieuport were disappointing, but a Camel in any scale is almost a license to print money, ranking just behind Fokker Triplanes.

Just my two kopecks,

WD

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2022, 07:35:53 PM »

Can anyone point me to a reference photo for the machine with blue/white knight helmet marking? I searched thru few of the books I own, as well as online, but did not manage to stumble upon any.

Is B2402 marking in right colors, specifically the two white stripes? This is a scheme I have seen in an old(er) Windstock magazine. The newer Osprey's book on Camel has the stripes blue. The latter makes more sense - the original B flight markings was blue/white/blue stripes. I am aware of the photo of this machine showing the two stripes in "white(ish)" shade, but blue would show as such on both common and orthochromatic photographic plate unless a yellow filter was applied. The left stripe of the tail tricolor also shows as "white" where I would assume blue.

Hi Galwitz,
I recently converted a 1:32nd scale Wingnut Wings Camel into this particular Comic.
I looked into the colours as well, concluding the stripes were blue.
My build thread photos are down at the moment whilst I change host servers.

However, if to go to my site you can see the final model and download the PDF build log, which has all of my research and conclusions included.

Mike

https://mikesww1aircraftmodels.com/comic.html

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Galwitz

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 12:06:49 AM »
However, if to go to my site you can see the final model and download the PDF build log, which has all of my research and conclusions included.

Hi Mike,

I have noticed your stunning model while searching for details on B2402, but I did not see the PDF. It is an amazing document, I am sure it will be handy in 1/48 scale too. Thank you very much.

~A
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 04:11:09 AM by Galwitz »

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 06:30:12 PM »

Hi Galwitz,
I have one photograph of a Comic of 'C' Flight, No.44 Squadron with the Viking helmet.

No.44 Squadron received their Camels in August 1917.
Later that year they introduce Flight markings on the sides of the fuselage.
A flight used a white cartoon Terrier dog.
B flight used a white crescent moon.
C flight used a Viking helmet with plume (colour not white) marking.

These markings didn't last long and were changed to:
A flight used numbers behind the fuselage roundels
B flight used a wide white band with blue edges behind the fuselage roundels
C flight used a wide white band with red edges behind the fuselage roundels.

Bear in mind that not all of No.44 Squadron aircraft were converted to Comics.
Some remained as Camels and some aircraft had individual markings, such as B2402,

Mike
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 06:39:17 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Galwitz

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2022, 11:31:51 PM »
I have one photograph of a Comic of 'C' Flight, No.44 Squadron with the Viking helmet.

Oh great, thanks a bunch. Would you happen to know the source of the photograph? Just curious...

~A

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2022, 11:39:57 PM »

Oh great, thanks a bunch. Would you happen to know the source of the photograph? Just curious...

~A

It's from 'British Aviation Squadron Markings of WW1 (by Les Rogers - Schiffer Miltary History Book).
ISBN:  0-7643-1284-7

Mike

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2022, 01:08:56 AM »
Wow! Great research Mike! Much appreciated here too... Regards, Marc.

Bughunter

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2022, 09:09:44 PM »
In the book "Sopwith Camel - King of Combat" is a very clear picture of Lt Burns and the knight helmet marking, but applied on a normal Camel, not Comic.

Cheers,
Frank