Author Topic: lewis drum storage  (Read 1178 times)

masterKamera

lewis drum storage
« on: May 08, 2022, 11:48:19 AM »
Here is a question for the master modelers..

after that poor imaginary pilot reloads the over wing lewis after standing on his seat cushion, where is the empty drum supposed to go?

And just where did the extra drum come from in the first place?

I have seen purty nice cockpits of planes with over head lewis guns being modelled, but i have yet to see storage for a lewis drum

Offline macsporran

Re: lewis drum storage
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 05:00:11 PM »
Lots of the models here show the storage racks, internal and external, for Lewis drums. Have a look at the SE5a instruction booklet on the WNW site and you'll see one internal solution. (parts A4, A5 and A9)
Sandy
http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3&cat=4
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 05:37:53 PM by macsporran »

Offline WD

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 12:56:26 AM »
masterKamera,
                        I too have pondered this mystery for 20+ years with no satisfactory answer/solution. I do recall a photo of a Nie.11 that had a shelf of sorts underneath the forward coaming for some drums, but I've yet to see anything on any Nie.17's. We all know they had to do it, but just how remains a mystery to me.
Internal/cockpit shots of these a/c are rare to nonexistent, at least to me. The Belgian Nie.23 in the the museum in Brussels doesn't have anything there.

I'm at a loss too.

WD

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 06:58:22 AM »
The SE.5a had a storage slot above the instrument panel for one drum:
dsc06869_35680438235_o by Zac Yates, on Flickr

DH.2s and BE.2cs had room for two on the outside of the cockpit:
Untitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr
7198aa36-db53-40e6-9f88-faaa593cac13_zps9xlkq0ur_35645309836_o by Zac Yates, on Flickr

It really depends on the aircraft. As for spent drums, that's a really good question!
Zac in NZ

masterKamera

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 01:45:58 PM »
Its just that the se5a shelf,,, does that ever appear in a model cockpit?

and 1 drum in gun, 1 in reserve shelf...  thats two of the 47 round drums,, not the amount that they were supposedly carrying.

its just that the limited armament knowledge i can scrounge up is that the nieuport 17 supposedly had to carry 291 rounds for thesingle lewis overwing mounted gun. And the nieuport 11 carried 388 rounds.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2022, 05:03:44 PM »
"Its just that the se5a shelf,,, does that ever appear in a model cockpit?"

Yes. Please take the time to read my previous answer above.
Sandy
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 06:03:29 PM by macsporran »

Offline macsporran

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 05:51:29 PM »
Later Lewis magazine drums held 97 rounds - so one in the gun, one in the floor tray (part A5 in the WNW SE5a)  and one in the IP shelf (WNW part A4, Roden 1/32 SE5a part 3c) gives you 291 rounds.
Sandy
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 06:01:28 PM by macsporran »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2022, 11:30:39 PM »

Sandy

Before WNW Roden included the Instrument panel Lewis ammo storage in their 1/48th and 1/32nd SE5a kits. I don't know for sure but would guess also in their 1/72nd kit?

As for the Nieuport storage things are a bit more obscure. I think this was one of the first questions I asked when I joined the WW1 modeling "List" years ago. I remember a discussion on this Forum and IIRC the general opinion was on each side of the pilots seat . To Me that still seems to be an awkward location to retrieve them from during flight.

British Nieuport 17's and 23's used the Lewis gun only. That would mean that they would have no need of the ammo boxes or the belt and drum from the Vickers. I would find Myself asking if those items were removed and replaced with boxes or brackets for spare lewis drums.

In the end it seems No One has proof for any location on the Nieuports, ( at least those lacking outside boxes),so one could locate a drum anywhere it would not foul controls, piping, etc. and I doubt you could be proven wrong. JMHO,
RAGIII
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 11:34:48 PM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline WD

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 11:51:40 AM »

Sandy

As for the Nieuport storage things are a bit more obscure. I think this was one of the first questions I asked when I joined the WW1 modeling "List" years ago.
RAGIII

RAG, I believe I was also a part of that conversation. None of us came away the wiser sadly.

WD

masterKamera

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2022, 02:22:19 PM »
how many airco dh2 pilots had their ammo free fall during a lively bank and turn?

Offline macsporran

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2022, 04:21:31 PM »

Bughunter

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2022, 05:45:21 PM »
A lot of questions by this user, not only in this forum!
I suggest to use the forum search, as most of the questions are already answered.

masterKamera

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2022, 03:07:48 AM »
A lot of questions by this user, not only in this forum!
I suggest to use the forum search, as most of the questions are already answered.

do a search of lewis gun or lewis gun magazine or lwesi drumfor yourself.. 

lewis drum gives two results,, this thread and one from 2014 concerning storage in the salmson two seat airplane.

yes its SOOOO relevant to what i asked dont ya think..

and it feels so nice to have a poorly veilled threat... what is this a photo forum

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2022, 08:14:40 AM »
Hi everyone,

A reminder from the mod team to keep this thread civil and respectful. The forum is here to promote the study of WW1 aviation history and provide a safe place to ask and respond to questions. Poor behaviour will not be tolerated.

This thread is walking a fine line.

Cheers

BC

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2022, 08:19:38 AM »
Okay folks the tone of this thread is turning grim and so it's time to politely remind everyone to please keep the conversations friendly and civil.

MasterKamera- you are new to the Forum so you may not be too versed in how we do things here but the members have tried to answer your many questions in a helpful way. Our forum thrives on co-operation and helping one another.

I'm sorry people have not specifically answered in detail to your satisfaction your latest query about Lewis gun ammo drum storage. However members have attempted to help and your last response is frankly unhelpful. There was no 'poorly veiled threat' made against you and to suggest there was just smacks of trolling. We have a zero tolerance policy toward trolling.

So, with that in mind, I am now going to lock this thread.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com