Author Topic: The rigging of our crates  (Read 1100 times)

masterKamera

The rigging of our crates
« on: May 02, 2022, 02:35:03 PM »
I have read the big rigging sticky by the late Des.  It shows good ideas to rig a model, but i have the following to ask.

With that article all on pulling strands of material from the wifes stockings, is anyone still doing such activity or has everyone switched to the "ez line" of stretching material,  super fine fly tying line, or super fine wire?

I really havent found a supplier of EZ line, other than a mention on Amazon of plumbing/piping parts.

I have learned something from photography and trying to build a darkroom.  Get the highest quality things you can afford, and save yourself at least 50% on money from buying junk now, and getting the good stuff later.

Offline WD

Re: The rigging of our crates
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 08:37:37 AM »
What scale are you planning to model?

WD

masterKamera

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 02:46:53 PM »
What scale are you planning to model?

WD

right now, i got5 1/72 kits staring me down. I shall be going into 1/48 once the 1/72 insanity wears off.

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 04:46:40 PM »
I use thin fishing line. Cotton thread can be broken down into thinner lengths be twisting it the opposite way it is woven. I have unravelled them twice making it 1/4 width. Another thing I use is very fine wire often found in charging or aerial cables.
Alan
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline WD

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 02:17:21 AM »
MasterKamera, during my few rigging attempts (I attempt to model in 1/72nd) I used either very thin Dai-Rikki (sp?) fly leader or dark grey "invisible" sewing thread. I use the method as outline by our wonderful Polish modeller here, Prze, where in you drill a blind hole, glue it in with CA, and pull it tight through the other, secure with CA, cut off, then paint/decal over.

WD

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2022, 12:51:55 PM »
Dunno know if anyone else has ever done this but,

I've only ever worked in 1/72 scale and have never tried any of those techniques.  My method was discovered by chance over 20 years ago... I was donating at the local thrift shop and noticed a row of old ladies synthetic hairpieces.  One wig had strands ranging between silver and black. I paid maybe $2.50 for it, and still have a lifetime supply of rigging material- thinner than thread or fishing line, which never needs painting, straightening or coating.  I simply pluck a hair of whichever particular shade I want, give it a slight tug to render it taught and eliminate waviness, then start rigging.  It glues easy, cuts easy, and doesn't inherently sag.  Here's an example of what it can look like in 1/72:

« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 01:25:08 PM by PJ Fisher »

masterKamera

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 01:49:23 PM »
Dunno know if anyone else has ever done this but,

I've only ever worked in 1/72 scale and have never tried any of those techniques.  My method was discovered by chance over 20 years ago... I was donating at the local thrift shop and noticed a row of old ladies synthetic hairpieces.  One wig had strands ranging between silver and black. I paid maybe $2.50 for it, and still have a lifetime supply of rigging material- thinner than thread or fishing line, which never needs painting, straightening or coating.  I simply pluck a hair of whichever particular shade I want, give it a slight tug to render it taught and eliminate waviness, then start rigging.  It glues easy, cuts easy, and doesn't inherently sag.  Here's an example of what it can look like in 1/72:

lovely model,

Never thought about synthetic hair, but have any idea of what actual material it is?
   Im worried on choosing the wrong rigging material as far as "oh crap, the rigging line shrunk and now my wing tips are touching"

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 02:04:25 AM »
I'm not sure exactly what the material is but it seems that most synthetic wigs are made of either acrylic, nylon or polyester..  The stuff I have isn't stretchy and isn't strong enough to pull any load or warp wings. I believe it is somewhat heat friendly (haven't used it in a long while).