Author Topic: A little late I know, but... hello!  (Read 971 times)

Offline clive_t

A little late I know, but... hello!
« on: April 17, 2022, 10:04:06 PM »
Hi all, well some 3 years plus after first registering, I now find myself making my first post!

Clive here, from Portsmouth in the UK.

I have a particular (possibly unhealthy!) interest in quirky aircraft subjects, and of course that period of WW1 when aircraft design was still very much in its infancy certainly yields some rich results! My stated choice of WW1 aircraft at the time of registering was the SPAD SA.4, aka the Pulpit SPAD. I think that's still the case, but I have to be honest right now the Caudron G.III is running it a close second. Hence my returning to the forum, as I am about to embark on the building of my recently acquired Copperstate Models 1:32 kit of that latter aircraft.

I'm hoping to learn as much as I can from everyone here about the finer points of modelling such a beast of an aircraft, and of course any other WW1 subjects that might come my way.

Thanks, and apologies once again for my late introduction  :)

Cheers,

Clive

Offline Dirigible-Al

Re: A little late I know, but... hello!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 12:13:41 AM »
Hello Clive
Cannot wait to see the Cauldron build. I had a look inside the box when a friend bought one at a show and I have to say it looked a great kit. I too like the early birds.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2022, 05:55:32 AM »
A belated welcome aboard, Clive! It's great to have you here!
I have to be honest right now the Caudron G.III is running it a close second. Hence my returning to the forum, as I am about to embark on the building of my recently acquired Copperstate Models 1:32 kit of that latter aircraft.
You have my attention - one can never see too many CSM Caudron models!
Zac in NZ

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2022, 07:28:58 AM »
Better late than never, Clive!  ;)
Welcome to the forum.

We look forward to seeing your Caudron  in the making.
Good luck!

Cheers,
Bob  ::)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 10:13:08 AM »
Hello Clive

It's great to welcome you to the active side of the Forum. I know you will enjoy making the Copper State Caudron kit as it's a real masterpiece of kit design and production.

Please share your build progress with us as we'd love to see your work in progress.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline clive_t

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 12:53:14 AM »
Thanks very much for the warm welcome, everyone.

I'm not sure how my effort is going to turn out. I'll be honest, I'm particularly concerned by the complexity of the rigging. I've been recommended on another forum to investigate getting some turn-buckles for the rigging wires, given the large scale. I've always managed to get away with not using them for all my previous efforts as they were 1:72 (plus one 1:48). The thing I am least able to get my head around is the number and sizes of turn-buckle needed for this particular aircraft. If anyone has any pointers on that I'd very much appreciate it.

It is a lovely kit, though, from what I've seen of the sprues so far.

Cheers,

Clive