Author Topic: Nieuport 17 Early and Late Differences?  (Read 619 times)

Offline Gutzer

Nieuport 17 Early and Late Differences?
« on: April 16, 2022, 04:44:40 PM »
What are the differences between the Nieuport 17 early and late versions?  Is it mainly the cowls?  Still waiting on my Windsock Nieuport 17 book...

Peter
Perth, Western Australia

"One must overcome the inner Schweinehund."  The Baron.

Offline macsporran

Re: Nieuport 17 Early and Late Differences?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 05:36:35 PM »
Main differences in the CSM kits are the upper wing centre sections - open structure visible through cellon covering in the early machines. Lots of variation in gun mountings too though.
Sandy

Offline Gutzer

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 08:52:52 PM »
Thanks Sandy.  By coincidence I just received the Windsock Datafile Nieuport Fighters by JM Bruce this afternoon, so some reading tonight!

Peter
Perth, Western Australia

"One must overcome the inner Schweinehund."  The Baron.

Offline Big Sky Modeler

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 11:47:34 PM »
I haven't looked into this yet so I might be off, but there might be a difference in the ammunition feed.  I know early ammunition belts were fabric and wound on a drum.  The belt fed up to the gun and the empty belt then fed down to another drum.  I believe early Nieuports had this, and I have seen pictures of early Spad VIIs with this arrangement.  Later the disintegrating links for ammunition belts were used so the drums went away and were replace with boxes.

Offline WD

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 12:04:08 AM »
There is also a difference in the wings, more specifically what I call the "riblets", those little demi-ribs in between the wing ribs. Depending upon serial #, some Nieuports had them, others didn't.

WD

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2022, 04:36:56 AM »
There is also a difference in the wings, more specifically what I call the "riblets", those little demi-ribs in between the wing ribs. Depending upon serial #, some Nieuports had them, others didn't.

WD

Yep, there are No riblets on the CSM "Early" version Nieuport 17. It also has a variety of side panels and Machine gun mounting options.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler