Author Topic: MRP Paint  (Read 903 times)

Offline DeLano80

MRP Paint
« on: April 09, 2022, 01:35:20 AM »
Anyone ever use this stuff? MRP Acrylic Lacquer for airbrush.  Just tried it out for the first time and I must be doing something terribly wrong...
So far, I am just using the primer to check some panel lines. I must have put a dozen coats and still it isn't covered. After awhile, my airbrush would start clogging up to where I'd have to take it apart to clean it. I've tried very high and very low PSI and everything in between.
Any ideas?

Offline macsporran

Re: MRP Paint
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 03:25:32 AM »
MRP paints are my preferred paints - the only problem I have is getting a reliable source with adequate stock!.
It depends what you want a paint to do. If you want something that covers completely and obliterates everything underneath then MRP is not for you. The great thing about them is that they are slightly transparent like ink - and allow pre-shading underneath to show through. I've never used their primer so can't comment on that. I tend to use Tamiya, Vallejo or even Halfords rattle-can white primers and then draw in rib lines with various watercolour pencils and some subtle pre-shading etc. Then I spray the MRP paints over and am happy with the very realistic effect. Once that's done I'll gloss varnish then apply decals, re-varnish and add some upper rib post shading, washes etc.
Works great for me - but as I say, I wouldn't have great expectations of the primer covering much.

(I find MRP sprays beautifully at lowish pressures straight from the bottle without needing much thinning although I'll thin if I want more transparency.)
HTH
Sandy

Bughunter

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 06:08:14 AM »
I can sign all what Sandy said!
I love the WWI line (some linen shades, PC10, PC12, ...) and the spray beautifully at low pressure, in thin layers. Like Alclad in color ;) The are dry immediately, you can touch one side of the wing while spraying the other.
But I have also not tried the primers, here I use Alclad with microfiller (white, gray and black).
I'm doing all (Alclad and MRP) with a 0.2 needle.
You really need to shake them carefully, because the pigments settle quickly. So I use only smaller amounts in the airbrush (micro cap in my Harder & Steenbeck Infinity) and refill if needed.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline DeLano80

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 10:27:04 AM »
Interesting. While I was was spraying this incredibly thin paint, I thought of all sort of uses for it. But priming... Not really.
Thanks

Offline WD

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 11:36:31 PM »
DeLano,
             I haven't tried their paints yet, but I did buy a variety of their clear coats to try out based on friend's recommendations. As others have said, this stuff is THIN!

WD

Offline DeLano80

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2022, 03:14:17 AM »
Any ideas on why it's clogging my airbrush?

Offline WD

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2022, 06:06:14 AM »
Delano80, I have NO idea why you're getting a clogged airbrush.
I have a friend that has a great modeling podcast (Plastic Model Mojo), and a frequent guest on there is Dr. Strangebrush, aka D. John Miller of Model Paint Solutions. He has some great advice about airbrushes, clogging, etc. most of which can be found on his website: https://modelpaintsol.com/ . He's a super nice gentleman, and if you write him about your specific problem, he WILL get back with you. He does enjoy helping modelers get the most out of their airbrushes, etc.  For help from him, see this section on his website, I bet he can help you: https://modelpaintsol.com/modeling-airbrush-services .

HTH!

WD

Bughunter

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 05:45:00 PM »
Just used the primer MRP-086. Sprays nicely in thin layers.
Yes, it is thin as the other paints but it covers faster than the paints, seems to have more pigments.
And it behaves different to the Alclad primers with filler, the MRP is more a paint.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline DeLano80

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2022, 06:41:03 AM »
Thanks. I've been playing with it but am getting the same results.
What are you all using to clean your airbrush with for these paints?

Bughunter

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2022, 08:40:56 PM »
I'm using a product called "Revell Airbrush Clean" for all paints. This one is strong enough also for Alclad, MRP and Drooling Bulldog paints.
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-39005-airbrush-clean--266236

Before I used the Alclad "Airbrush Cleaner" ALC-307, which is even a bit stronger.

Perhaps you have residues of other paints in your airbrush that are dissolved by MrPaint and then clump together?
Sorry, I have no other idea.

Cheers,
Frank