Author Topic: Good Roden 1/32 WW1 Aircraft kits  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Gutzer

Good Roden 1/32 WW1 Aircraft kits
« on: March 31, 2022, 05:45:32 PM »
What would some recommendations for 'good' Roden 1/32 kits? 

I have a CSM 1/32 Nieuport Late in the mail, but also generally looking if any Roden kits might be worth a visit.

Not particularly concerned with the aircraft type, but just a decent kit (good detail, fit etc...) and I would use AM decals.   
Perth, Western Australia

"One must overcome the inner Schweinehund."  The Baron.

Offline macsporran

Re: Good Roden 1/32 WW1 Aircraft kits
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 07:52:36 PM »
The Albatros D.III (and hence the D.I and Encore D.II) are excellent kits.
In some ways I prefer the Roden D.III to the WNW D.V/a because so far I have not had one with a warped wing (which is common in the WNW kit), the spinner has a more realistic shape and the struts are strong enough to remove from sprue without snapping and sturdy enough to support u/c and wings without wobbling or breaking.
This is an excellent kit.

The SE5a is a good kit - and you get the option of a Viper engine in one boxing, but can have problems getting the engine in if you are closing the cowling. It doesn't have the clear covers for the aileron and elevator inspection covers though.
SS D.III has a few issues but the Brengun PE fret solves many of them. Fok D.VI is a decent kit.

The Nieuport 24/27 is a dog and probably responsible for Roden getting bad press on the 1/32 front. Avoid.

I haven't built my N.28, SPAD, Dr1, Triplane or Pfalz kits yet so can't comment but they look OK in the plastic.

Buy the Albatros!
Sandy

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 09:54:18 PM »
You may get better recommendations if you can state what aspect of building you are looking for, or want to get more practice with.

I have built a few Roden kits so far: SPAD XIII, Fokker DR.1, even a 1/48 Pilatus Porter, and now an Albatros D.III
I have also added details to each of these kits, which adds to the complexity and difficulty of build.
My impressions:
SPAD XIII - very complicated subject and the most involved.
Fokker DR.1 - simple kit, on the easy side, minimal rigging.
Albatros D.III - my kit has a lot of warped parts and some sink marks to deal with.  Otherwise it's a typical Roden kit.

I'm sure you will find that there is variation among individual kits of the same type - more warped parts in some than others, more molding problems, etc.
Others can relate their experiences.

Good luck finding that kit!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 11:48:18 PM »
Personally I Like Roden kits as can be seen in a lot of My build threads here on the Forum. That being said I will qualify My opinion based on a couple of factors:
1. I don't know your level of Modeling Experience.
2. What level of "Fit and Detail" you are looking for..

If you are looking for WNW or Tamiya level kits Roden will fall short. On the other hand almost all of the Roden kits have a good basis in detail ( can be enhanced with PE and instrument decals), and with care and test fitting go together pretty well. If I had to choose 1 kit I would say the Nieuport 28 is a good start. Nicely detailed and relatively good fit. I have built two !  As mentioned earlier the DR1 is a straightforward build and if you can find the Encore version, even better. ( Yes, the Meng kit is better overall but the Roden kit looks good sitting next to one when complete. I have 4 or 5 in the case) The Albatros kits are decent but need tweaking on the fit. Some of the Roden builds I have completed are more satisfying than My WNW builds because I know what I did to get them where they are!

My opinion is that Roden kits are a good basis at a Fair Price. It all depends on how much Modeling you want to do to get them to a point at which you are satisfied with the outcome.

RAGIII
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 01:13:48 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gutzer

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2022, 10:56:00 AM »
Thanks all great advice!

Modelling skills have gone up a rung or two since I started in 1968 at 8yo with the Airfix Royal Sovereign I bought from selling newspapers in Melbourne. Patience has to be in front seat placating border line OCPD perfectionism at the wheel. 

Nowhere near the level of some of the inspiring builds on this site though!  I have a few in the stash, and 1/32 Meng Dr.1 and CSM N17 arriving.  Currently have a 1/20 Model Factory Hiro Ferrari Sharknose on the bench and a 1/32 BF 109 G-6 almost done and more lined up down the track.

But I'm intrigued to do a Roden kit, I like the challenge to see what I can come up with, and don't mind doing a bit of scratch.  I think I will give the SPAD VII a go as I really want to have Guynemer's "Vieux Charles" S254 No. 2 with Nungesser's N.17...  I know that might be a difficult kit.  The SPADs have been my favourite WW1 aircraft since childhood.

Then again, it might be an Albatross D.III first.  Pity the Encore kits have practically disappeared.

Pity there is no decent Eindecker 1/32 on the market...CSM?

« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 12:46:22 PM by Gutzer »
Perth, Western Australia

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2022, 01:15:49 PM »
Gutzer

Wingnut Wings produced the Eindecker in 1/32, with the E.II/ E.III, a special edition E.II and Immelman figure, and E.III (Late).

All are out of production after the closure of Wingnut Wings but the Eindeckers can still be found, albeit at collector prices.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Gutzer

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2022, 01:29:56 PM »
Dave

Yes, I used to own one, until I decided to cash in on eBay!  I ended up selling several WnW kits on eBay including The Duellists with Halberstadt and RE.8 and a few D.Vs and I'm now totally regretting that decision... >:(

Peter
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 02:16:34 PM by Gutzer »
Perth, Western Australia

Offline Gutzer

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2022, 01:57:40 PM »
Done.  I have taken Sandy's advice after looking at some builds; a Roden D.III (606, not OAW) going reasonably (AU$78) in Lithuania with free postage to Oz... ::)

Now I need to find some decent decals...

I may post a build.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 03:21:24 PM by Gutzer »
Perth, Western Australia

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2022, 03:53:31 PM »

Offline Gutzer

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2022, 04:17:18 PM »
They look excellent and Cartograph to boot!  The combination of book and decals looks like great value.  Sold.
Perth, Western Australia

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2022, 06:10:14 PM »
They look excellent and Cartograph to boot!  The combination of book and decals looks like great value.  Sold.

👍 I purchased both, book and decals (1/32), last weekend at a big model exhibition in Lingen, Germany.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2022, 12:15:58 AM »
The Albatros is a good kit and looks great when finished. Just a heads up on the Only two fit issues. The cowling/ engine covers/cockpit coaming takes work as well as the fit of the lower wing to fuselage. Have Fun and please do a build thread  ;D
RAGIII
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 12:41:29 AM by RAGIII »

Offline Gutzer

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2022, 05:24:53 PM »
The Albatros is a good kit and looks great when finished. Just a heads up on the Only two fit issues. The cowling/ engine covers/cockpit coaming takes work as well as the fit of the lower wing to fuselage. Have Fun and please do a build thread  ;D
RAGIII

Thanks RAGIII. 

Looking at enhancing the Mercedes D.III engine with the Taurus offerings  I assume the complete timing gear (3207a) can only be used on the WnW kits? Otherwise, spark plugs, valves with lifters etc?

Peter
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 10:21:12 PM by Gutzer »
Perth, Western Australia

Online RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2022, 10:33:58 PM »
RAGIII

Thanks RAGIII. 

Looking at enhancing the Mercedes D.III engine with the Taurus offerings  I assume the complete timing gear (3207a) can only be used on the WnW kits? Otherwise, spark plugs, valves with lifters etc?

Peter

The plugs, valves and lifters can be used as you surmised. I am not sure how much modification would be needed for the complete timing gear but My guess is it would be a lot!
RAGIII