Author Topic: Author Bruno Schmaling On Next Projects  (Read 1240 times)

Offline James

Author Bruno Schmaling On Next Projects
« on: March 27, 2022, 07:45:58 PM »
When I asked what he might be working on next he replied -

Hello James,

thank you for your kind posting. I’m very happy that you like our books.

There are two projects in work:

1. Jasta Color Volume 2
The manuscript is done, and now the colour profiles had to be done. There will be around 64 colour profiles.

- This book starts with an overview of the development of the personal markings of the German airplanes 1914 - 1916 in examples, with some unknown and unusual markings. The markings of these units were the in a number of cases the model for the later Jagdstaffeln.

- The focus of the book and the colour profiles are the personal markings of the airplanes of the first 10 Jagdstaffeln (Jasta 1 to Jasta 10) Sommer/autumn 1916 – Spring 1917, as well a short glimpse of the fighter pales provided to double-seater units, with a number of unknown colour profiles of Albatros D I – D II and Halberstadt-fighters.

- The book also turns his eye on the military reason for the colourful markings of the German Jasta-planes, based on the interviews of Alex Imrie and my interviews with German WW I fighter pilots.

- Another content is the development of the flight formations of the German Jastas autumn 1916 - 1917.

- Finally, there is a chapter about the fabric finish of the Halberstadt-fighter plans and Albatros D I – D III fighter planes.

2. Royal Prussian Jagdstaffel 50

I still work on this manuscript.

The book is beside the war-diary-excerpt of Tornuß based on the personal diary of Heinz Arntzen, Staffelführer of Jasta 50. I spent with him in 1978 a week together and did a number of taped interviews and drafts of the markings and paintings on the aircrafts of Jasta 15 and 50. There will be also a good number of unknown colour profiles.

Many greetings

Bruno

I mentioned I would love to see him do one on Jagdstaffel 5, his reply was -

I have a good number of material on Jasta 5, including a very detailed war diary, the flight log of Josef Mai and Rudolf Nebel, as well as the personal diary of Josef Mai.
The only problem is, that the majority of the photos had been published before... Thats the reason I hesitate to do a book on Jasta 5

But never say never!

Many greetings

Bruno

Looks like a couple books to look forward to, can't wait.

James

Not affiliated with Aeronaut Books, just passing on information

Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline Petie2nd

Re: Author Bruno Schmaling On Next Projects
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 10:57:07 AM »
Thanks for that information, James. Bruno Schmäling is on my list of "must have" authors. After seeing the post about the Jasta 76 book a few days ago, my copy should arrive tomorrow!

I was just browsing again through Jasta Colors Vol. 1 during the last couple days, and hoping he would continue the series soon. I will be watching for the release of Vol. 2!

Both upcoming titles sound great. Here's hoping Herr Schmäling provides many more histories of often overlooked Jastas, and continues his excellent series on Jasta colors!   

Pete

Offline James

Author Bruno Schmaling On Next Projects
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 08:20:40 PM »
Thanks for that information, James. Bruno Schmäling is on my list of "must have" authors. After seeing the post about the Jasta 76 book a few days ago, my copy should arrive tomorrow!

I was just browsing again through Jasta Colors Vol. 1 during the last couple days, and hoping he would continue the series soon. I will be watching for the release of Vol. 2!

Both upcoming titles sound great. Here's hoping Herr Schmäling provides many more histories of often overlooked Jastas, and continues his excellent series on Jasta colors!   

Pete

I couldn't agree more, Pete. His Jasta histories are superb and I believe the Jasta Colors series will be an invaluable reference for years to come.

James
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline Jeff K

Re: Author Bruno Schmaling On Next Projects
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 12:49:35 AM »
GREAT stuff thanks for asking him.