Author Topic: Another Answer Model Art Avro 504k in 1/33rd!  (Read 2322 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Another Answer Model Art Avro 504k in 1/33rd!
« on: March 26, 2022, 06:24:21 AM »
Hi all,
I've been inspired and intrigued by the fine work our dear friend (and suspected deep-cover infiltration agent/social media influencer on the payroll of Big Paper Model) NinetythirdLiberator has been doing on his 1/33rd card Fokker Triplane and Avro 504k (being worked on at the moment) models. As you may have guessed from some of my posts this latter type is one close to my heart as not only is there an original airworthy example less than three hours' drive from me, but this same aircraft - ZK-ACU - was also resident at my local aerodrome during the 1930s.

ZK-ACU Aviation Prints by Zac Yates, on Flickr
photo from www.aviationprints.co.nz

ZK-ACU 50th Jubilee mag pg42 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
photo from the Wanganui Aero Club's 50th anniversary jubilee bookazine

ZK-ACU Hood 310116 Zac Yates by Zac Yates, on Flickr
photo by me at Hood Aerodrome 31/10/2016

I've long desired an Avro in a nice big scale to allow for extra detail etc, and as it happens Dan accidentally ordered two. So where am I going with all this? Let's just say he made me an offer I couldn't refuse and...
Untitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr

I've built a few paper models before (such as 1/48 Mercury and Gemini boosters for the old Revell kits to sit atop) but haven't properly tackled an aircraft before apart from a free (and very basic) download of a 1/48 WW2 machine, however Dan's progress pics and YouTube videos have given me the feeling that perhaps I can do this.

I must caution you: don't expect a lot of progress updates in short order! After rushing into the Roden SPAD I've re-learnt patience in the art of modelmaking and, especially considering this is a relatively new medium for me, will be taking care to get it right. I'm also keen to deviate from the instructions in some areas (such as using styrene and balsa in place of many internal parts) and do a locally-relevant paint job rather than the printed RFC machine (which has some errors anyway), which will be an interesting experiment in itself.

It's definitely not the kind of "box opening and sprue fondling" that I'm used to!
Answer Model Art 1/33 Avro 504k by Zac Yates, on Flickr

Thus equipped, and armed with jamo's fantastic photos of ACU, I feel ready. So stay tuned. I know I'm curious to see how this works out!

Also if anyone has a spare 1/32 Gnome Monosupape and prop please let me know  8)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 03:52:30 AM by KiwiZac »
Zac in NZ

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Re: Another Answer Model Art Avro 504k in 1/33rd!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 08:26:06 AM »
I can't wait!

Dan

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022, 11:18:08 AM »
Turns out that making the first cut was quite daunting! After a lot of thinking I've decided to attempt two builds: the kit as is, and a second airframe using the kit parts (photocopied/scanned) as a template to allow for more detail in styrene, balsa and whatever else I decide to try. I'd really like to put in an injected or resin Gnome Mono up front on the second if anyone has one going spare.

And so it begins:
Answer ModelArt 1/33 Avro 504K by Zac Yates, on Flickr
Zac in NZ

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 02:09:11 PM »
Man...those parts look SO familiar... ;D

I think you'll have fun.  Ask questions if you get stuck and we'll figure something out.

Dan

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 07:21:41 AM »
Thanks Dan! I've made a playlist of your YouTube videos to provide guidance too.

Fortunately our printer had enough ink to copy the parts I cut out yesterday - these photocopies will be the basis for my mixed-media "version 2":
Untitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr
Zac in NZ

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 09:10:03 AM »
That's a great idea.  Start with the basics and then go nuts.  Looking forward to this!
Dan

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2022, 11:11:45 PM »
I am watching with great interest Zac! An ambitious project for sure!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2022, 09:01:35 AM »
Thank you gents! Dan's build made me think "what if I added extra detail here and there?" and, upon receiving the kit from him, my mind then turned to "why not use it as a template for a second build?"

We shall see how successful or otherwise I am, but I have some spare styrene rod and sheet and a healthy amount of balsa. Combined with Jamo's fantastic photos of my "local" 1/1 example... 8)
Zac in NZ

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2022, 11:04:48 AM »
Sooooooo , what happen here Zac ?

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2022, 06:29:01 AM »
I had a serious loss of modelling mojo a few weeks back. Rest assured I'll be back into this, I've just had some real-world issues to get straight that have been playing on my mind.
Zac in NZ

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2022, 02:55:09 PM »
Take your time, Zac.  It'll still be there!!

Cheers,
Dan