Author Topic: More image uploads from the Air Force Museum of NZ  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
More image uploads from the Air Force Museum of NZ
« on: March 25, 2022, 02:53:34 PM »
The Air Force Museum of NZ continues to upload its extensive photo archive to its website for free download by the public.

Here are some recent uploads.

Britannia- NZ's first military aircraft, seen at Sockburn, Christchurch pre WW1.

A Hucks Starter works on a Bristol F2b of the NZ Permanent Air Force at Sockburn/ Wigram in Christchurch

Poor quality image of a crashed Fokker E.II or E.III, unknown location.

Captain M. Buckley (front) and T. H. McWilliams, radio operator of the Southern Cross, in Bristol Fighter 6856 at Wigram, Christchurch.

Bristol Fighter prototype A3303

Keith Park by Bristol Fighter H1401

NZPAF Bristol Fighters at Sockburn/ Wigram NZ.

32 Sqn RAF pilots with their SE5a's - possibly at St Pol.

The Air Air Force Museum of NZ downloadable image archive is at: https://fotoweb.airforcemuseum.co.nz/fotoweb/

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 10:50:27 AM by Dave W »
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online rhwinter

Re: More image uploads from the Air Force Museum of NZ
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 09:31:28 PM »
Thank you, Dave!

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 04:32:19 AM »
Cheers Dave!

::)
Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline kiwin992

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 05:01:28 PM »
Thanks, Dave,
Nice to see pics of the Bristol F2.b at Wigram...my father worked on these, I believe as a cadet or in an auxiliary function. Some were crated out from the UK and not assembled until the mid 20's I believe. I can remember Dad commenting on the size of the propellor. I will model my WNW kit on one of these.
rgds
Brian A.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 05:53:48 PM »
Hi Brian

Glad the images are of interest. Here's another Bristol F2b image just uploaded to the archive this week, plus a rarity from WW1, a Junkers J.1 serial J107/17

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2022, 11:50:42 AM »
The Air Force Museum of NZ continues to upload its archive images to its website, with rare photos of the aircraft from the earliest days of military aviation.

The latest uploads ( which are free to download) include the following:

Bristol F2b 6857 at Sockburn (Wigram)

The NZ Permanent Air Force began at Sockburn (Wigram) in the 1920s with aircraft from the Imperial Gift. Pictured are a DH9, Avro 504K and Bristol Fighters.

Imperial Gift aircraft lined up at Sockburn/ Wigram. Pictured are DH4, DH9, Bristol Fighters and Avro 504Ks

A poor quality image but a snapshot of the beginnings of military aviation in NZ. Caudrons and a Bleriot monoplane at Sockburn/ Wigram

The Museum's fully downloadable image archive is here at: https://fotoweb.airforcemuseum.co.nz/fotoweb/

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2022, 08:13:59 AM »

The NZ Permanent Air Force began at Sockburn (Wigram) in the 1920s with aircraft from the Imperial Gift. Pictured are a DH9, Avro 504K and Bristol Fighters.
The Avro 504K pictured went on to be a joyride machine here in my hometown (along with A.202 which is flying with TVAL) and still exists in the USA. I'm doubtful any of the others have survived, sadly.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2022, 09:06:30 AM »
Hi folks

More photo archive treasures have just been uploaded to the Air Force Museum of NZ's website.

DH9 at Wigram, Christchurch. This was an Imperial Gift aircraft.

Avro 504K at Wigram.

All of these images can be downloaded in high res files from the museum website at: https://fotoweb.airforcemuseum.co.nz/fotoweb/

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia