Author Topic: Norman Franks Books  (Read 961 times)

Offline Gutzer

Norman Franks Books
« on: March 21, 2022, 10:21:20 PM »
My library is of a reasonably size, mainly WW2 and other history books (including a 1935 original edition of Seven Pillars of Wisdom and other books on Lawrence) but few WW1 aircraft books (apart from a couple of Windsock WnW books).  So I just only discovered the books by Norman Banks et al.

So I just ordered a very good copy of Above the Lines.  Now looking at The Storks: The Story of the Les Cigognes, which I'm wanting.

Bloody April 1971 looks interesting, as does Jasta Boelcke: The History of Jasta 2, 1916-1918, and The Life and Death of Major Edward Mannock VC

This could quickly turn into problem...

I have a 1/32 CSM Nieuport XVII Late and Meng Dr.I on the way.  I'm sure they will also fill any spare time (I work full time), in between finishing some 109's...

Any suggestions?  Give up day job (not likely)? 

I'm really just looking for what others think of Franks' books.  The other Above and Over books look good too, particularly Over the Front (French and US pilots and units).  But those books are more of a reference, rather than a good read, hence The Storks, Boelcke and Mannock books.  Any recommendations?

Peter
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 10:25:41 PM by Gutzer »
Perth, Western Australia

"One must overcome the inner Schweinehund."  The Baron.

Offline James

Norman Franks Books
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 11:12:10 PM »
I highly recommend The Storks and Jasta Boelcke. Another by Norman Franks I recommend is Sharks Among Minnows. Hope this helps.

James
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Norman Franks Books
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 11:30:18 PM »
Peter,
   I have most of the books you mention and  was fortunate to find the 4 volume set of "Above the Lines", "Over the Front" etc. in near to new condition for a reasonable price some time ago. As a reference source they are used often and I enjoy them for a short browse as well. We are fortunate to have a great resource of accomplished Researchers and Authors who produce high quality books on the subject of WWI Aviation and Norman Franks, in my view, is one of them along with Peter Kilduff and Alex Revell who never fail to please. As for recommendations  Grub Street of London have a very impressive list of great books on the subject. Your "good read" will be exceeded by the classic "Winged Victory" by V.M. Yeats and "Wind in the Wires" by Grinnell-Milne is another incredibly enjoyable read.
    You are correct; this could indeed turn into a problem......... you will definitely need a bigger book shelf with time!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline WD

Re: Norman Franks Books
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 12:24:13 AM »
Yup!  What Lance said.

Additionally I can heartily recommend Somme Success, Bloody April, and Aces Falling by Peter Hart.

If you are at all interested in the French Air Service, things get harder. I was fortunate to find an ex-library copy of Notes of a Lost Pilot by Jean Bernard Villars. This personal account was published under a pseudonym in 1918, was banned in France due to its criticism of the military, manufacturers, etc, but was later rightfully claimed and added to by Villars. There aren't a lot of French accounts in the English language.

HTH, YMMV,

WD