Author Topic: Eduard WWI French Seat-belts, But Which One?  (Read 520 times)

Offline WD

Eduard WWI French Seat-belts, But Which One?
« on: March 17, 2022, 08:29:09 AM »
Forumites,

I've returned to the workbench (finally!) and hope to resurrect some French WWI subjects after the current builds are finished. Here is my problem:

I have this set of Eduard seatbelts: https://www.eduard.com/eduard/photo-etched-parts/zoom-set/aircraft/1-72/seatbelts-france-wwi-steel-1 -72.html

Here are the instructions: https://www.eduard.com/out/media/SS608.pdf

1) Can any of you tell me which seat-belt goes with which aircraft? Some of them I know I might figure out, but some of them I'm not sure about, especially those for Nie. 11's/16's, 17's/23's, etc.  I've been told #5 and #6 are for Nieuports, what about the rest?

And

2) I have a terrible time dealing with these pre-printed seat-belts. It seems when I bend them to go over a seat edge, whatever they printed them with just cracks and comes off. Have any of you dealt with seat-belts of this type and successfully installed them with the pre-printed finish intact?

Thank you!

WD

Bughunter

Re: Eduard WWI French Seat-belts, But Which One?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 05:23:06 PM »
I can't help with the belts. The problem is, that some belts are survived and are parts of museum collections, but we do know the used aircraft types. And there are not many cockpit pictures.
So you have some artistic freedom.

For the paint problem:
I had the same experience on the older brass PE, but not likely on the new thin STEEL series. The paint sticks much better on them but you should avoid a hard bend. With curved shapes (as the real strong belts) the paint should stick.

Just my thoughts.
Cheers,
Frank

Offline WD

Re: Eduard WWI French Seat-belts, But Which One?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 08:37:35 PM »
Thanks Frank.  Yes, that does give me some freedom. However,  my thinking was this: since they made some belts that look . . . very specific (as opposed to generic), that perhaps they knew something I didn't. Make sense? 

Again, thanks for the help and advice.

WD