Author Topic: Airco DH2, Eduard 1/48, Upd 16.5.22 Finished  (Read 9293 times)

Bughunter

Airco DH2, Eduard 1/48, Upd 16.5.22 Finished
« on: March 17, 2022, 04:15:26 AM »
Content removed due to violation of forum rules.

Please note: It was Frank's decision to remove the content of this post. - Dave Wilson, Forum Administrator
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 11:15:20 AM by Dave W »

Offline gedmundson

Re: New way for wooden struts in 1/48
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 04:23:17 AM »
Absolutely brilliant, Frank!
Cheers,
Gary

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 04:26:44 AM »
They look superb, Frank!  :o
Well done  :)

Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 05:17:36 AM »
What a good idea! The only problem Frank is that I do not have the vice and circular saw, but I really do like the principle. Wood is so much better than painted plastic if it can be done.

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 05:52:11 AM »
Great that you liked my idea/struts Gary, Bob and Stephen!

To use the little vice was a result of experimenting.
At first I tried to press the wood against a edge by hand, but the cutting wheel develops some forces so it was hard to get a clean result.
Inside the vice you can see some soft lumber, so I closed the vice until the stripes has a tight fit. So the vice provides a guidance on three sides.
Stephen, if you do not own a vice a special U made from wood could also be used. The lower side in the same width as the veneer stripes and left and right a piece of wood for example.
And I forgot: the usage of a vacuum cleaner is strongly recommended! :D

And regarding the disadvantage of gluing one strut after another:
I use fast drying wood glue and two vices for pressing. After one was dry enough, I put the next one into the vice and sanded a strut into shape. Once the struts was done, the one in the other vice was dry enough. So the workflow was smooth  8)

The good thing of working with wood: it always brings my mojo back.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2022, 06:10:01 AM »
That's brilliant Frank, and the end result looks fantastic!

I daresay there are many like me who are without the requisite tools who would love struts like this - if you wanted, you could likely sell these, perhaps start a "side hustle" as a strut merchant...? 8)
Zac in NZ

Online WD

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2022, 10:09:38 AM »
That's brilliant Frank, and the end result looks fantastic!

I daresay there are many like me who are without the requisite tools who would love struts like this - if you wanted, you could likely sell these, perhaps start a "side hustle" as a strut merchant...? 8)

Frank,
         What Zac said, you could, if you want, turn this into a great side hustle.  It's a brilliant idea IMHO. Just wish I could make it work for 1/72nd.

WD

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2022, 02:48:57 PM »
Brilliant work, Frank!  I can see this being better for larger scales, too.
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2022, 04:43:01 PM »
Magician!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Bughunter

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2022, 06:08:59 PM »
Thank you Zac, WD, Gaz and Prze!

I think this method will work also in other scales. The size of the cut/cutting wheel should match.
In 1/72 I would use wood with finer grain like boxwood and 0.2 or 0.3mm brass. In 1/32 may be 0.6 or 0.7mm brass or thinner steel wire.

if you wanted, you could likely sell these, perhaps start a "side hustle" as a strut merchant...? 8)
Some time ago I already thought about selling wooden air screws but I'm to slow with manual work. So nobody would pay that work.
Finally, I decided not to do any commercial model work until the kits in my huge stash are all built. 8)

Cheers,
Frank

Bughunter

Airco DH2, Eduard 1/48, Upd 17.3.22 Wings
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2022, 06:38:43 PM »
Content removed due to violation of forum rules.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 01:45:07 AM by Bughunter »

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: Airco DH2, Eduard 1/48, Upd 17.3.22 Wings
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2022, 10:01:07 PM »
Excellent paint work there, Frank.  I like the PC8 color and the different color for the spar shadow vs the rib tapes.

Offline Berman

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2022, 01:15:01 AM »
 I am unfamiliar with PC-8. What was the time period and what aircraft were painted with this predecessor of PC-10?

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2022, 04:26:25 AM »
Where do I begin?

Your work is so tidy and beautifully detailed. What a clever way to make the struts Frank! I am certainly going to try this method. Do you think this would work with bamboo too? I have the same Proxxon tools as you use in your setup in the picture. I only need a longer bed to slide the vice in.

Great idea to use the little tubes in the wings to take the strut pins. A great way to get the struts neatly lined up.

Excelent priming, shading and paint results on the wings, spars and ribs too.

I made notes!

Nice to see the DH2 is such a popular subject here lately (Rick, Alexis, DaveB, William). This is going to be a beauty, I am sure.

Regards,
Willem

Bughunter

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2022, 04:47:39 AM »
Excellent paint work there, Frank.  I like the PC8 color and the different color for the spar shadow vs the rib tapes.
Thank you Ken! I really like the MrPaint colors, from the working point of view and the result.
Yes I used different paint for the spar shadow, but it was a bit to dark. Next time better ;)

I am unfamiliar with PC-8. What was the time period and what aircraft were painted with this predecessor of PC-10?
Me too, may be some experts could answer this. I found only the linked WNW manual, according to that this DH2 is from July 1916.
So my guess is also, that it was a predecessor of PC-10.
At least it looks nice and different to the PC10 birds 8)

Thank you Willem for the long answer!
I am certainly going to try this method.
Really? It costs me years to develop this method! I should have patented this!
The license fee is a beer, should we ever meet in person, for example at an exhibition. 8)

Do you think this would work with bamboo too? I have the same Proxxon tools as you use in your setup in the picture. I only need a longer bed to slide the vice in.
As I wrote above you can also use another U-shaped profile or even made one from wood. I have not tried bamboo, may be it works.

Nice to see the DH2 is such a popular subject here lately (Rick, Alexis, DaveB, William).
Oh yes, that invited me to start this one. After my DH2 Stripdown years ago I always wanted to put a normal DH2 aside.
And it is a good training fro the FE8  8)

Cheers,
Frank