Author Topic: Quite a warm day  (Read 2506 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Quite a warm day
« on: January 08, 2013, 10:18:12 AM »
In my part of the world (Shoalhaven Heads, NSW, Australia) we are expecting 43ºC today, a bit on the warm side. We have had warnings via text messages, phone calls and emails from the RFS (Rural Fire Service) that the fire warning level is catastrophic for today. Because my little town is surrounded by bush we have been advised to have an evacuation plan in place and they advise residents to be prepared for the worst, they also predict strong NW winds.
This is a good day for modeling, I have closed the house up, pulled all the blinds and curtains and set the airconditioner for 24º. I got up at 5am and went outside to water all my lawns and gardens, hopefully this will keep everything alive during the heat.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: Quite a warm day
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:24:07 AM »
  Des,
Plenty warm is right,sound like south Mississippi in July. Best of luck keeping the yard and flower going my old friend. Here to hoping for no fires which is never a good thing.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 10:46:31 AM »
  Des,
Plenty warm is right,sound like south Mississippi in July. Best of luck keeping the yard and flower going my old friend. Here to hoping for no fires which is never a good thing.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
Most of July and August hovers around that temp here in Sacramento.  Paint drys before it hits the plastic.  Good luck, mate.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 12:49:17 PM »
Yes Shoalhaven got mentioned in our national news this morning as one of the places in Aus with the highest fire risk, and I thought: ummm thats where Des is  :(

Hope you don't have arsonists round your way
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 05:13:14 PM »
Wishing you and Adrienne all the best during the bushfire scares Des. Stay safe there!

best wishes

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 05:27:06 PM »
Thanks guys for your concern. We were lucky enough to miss the fires but he did get the heat, 45º in some areas, it is now 6.30pm and it is still 40º on my back patio with strong hot winds.

Des.

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 09:32:07 PM »
Hi Des,

glad to hear you made it through today's lovely weather. It's still in the 30's (C)  at the base of Mt Keira in Wollongong at the moment. Spent the day in Katoomba which was b*^&%y hot then travelled through Penrith/Narellan/Picton on way home which was in the low 40's. No air con at my place so we are patiently waiting for the southerly to come through although I understand it's taking it's sweet time coming up the coast.

I'm on shift tomorrow in the fire house....the weather is supposed to be cooler but well see what happens ::)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 11:10:09 PM »
Hey Des, heard the Shoalhaven fire chief on our national (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) news this morning. I wish I didn't. I'm thinking about you; please keep the updates coming.

Of course it is a pleasant -5C today. We had our -30s over Christmas, may get some more, but you're welcome to come and experience Mother Nature's air con!

Lindsay

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 11:59:49 PM »
Stay cool and safe all my electronic Australian friends. Dont let your wings droop or your riggin' slack.

Steve

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 04:28:24 AM »
Thank the stars I live in the UK. Can't handle that sort of intense heat  8)

Hope all is well, Des!

BVB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 07:01:26 AM »
I went to bed at around 10.45 last night and it was still 38º outside, I woke this morning to a beautiful cool southerly with a sprinkling of rain and a really pleasant 20º. The heat knocked the stuffing out of a lot of my plants though, most are looking pretty sad this morning. Still a lot of smoke around but the southerly will get rid of it pretty quickly. Thanks everyone for your wishes and concerns but all is well, none of my models ended up having drooping wings or slackened rigging so they all pulled through with flying colours  :) :) :)

Des.

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 07:19:06 AM »
The bush fires are still making our news in UK, hope all you guys in Oz are keeping safe.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 07:31:23 AM »
There are around 130 bush fires raging around the state of NSW, emergency services are doing their best to get them under control, I believe there are about 40 water bombing aircraft being used to attack the fires where ground crews can't access them, some of the terrain is pretty rough. Hopefully the cooler change which came through last night will slow the fires down and give the fire fighters a breather.

Des.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 09:35:45 AM »
Stay safe, mate.  Keep your property as wet as possible.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 10:57:57 AM »
  Des,
I glad to read you and your family are safe and burn free my old friend. Shame your plants and such are suffering the heat though. Keep safe and doing everything possible to stay that way. Of coarse a little prayer can't hurt.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"