Author Topic: Did Ernst Udet have to used a parachute when flying a Fokker D 7?  (Read 658 times)

Offline James Reagan

Which Wingnuts Forker D7 kit is best to portray the aircraft he was flying late in the war.?I  I just obtained a 1/32 scale figure of Udet with a parachute. From what I have read his first aircraft was a Fokker Eindecker.

Offline RAGIII

Re: Did Ernst Udet have to used a parachute when flying a Fokker D 7?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2022, 10:24:22 AM »
You have chosen a question that despite claims made to the contrary, No One can really 100% prove. It was either an Early Fokker built DVII, or an Early OAW built DVII. There are arguments for both. This was the controversial Striped upper wing bird. I went with OAW but the choice is yours!
RAGIII

PS: He flew several DVIIs. The one with the most photos is actually an OAW DVII. He also Flew a DVIIF. One other thing is that the Ex Jasta 6 Triplane was also flown by Udet at a time when Parachutes were common in JG1.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 11:20:52 PM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline James Reagan

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 01:11:54 AM »
Wingnut Wings Fokker DVII F kit shows Udet's markings as  an option for the 1918 period. so I'll use it to answer my own question.  Nice when with a little  starter information here can put you in the right direction.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 06:15:54 PM »
he actually bailed out of the famous/infamous Du Doch Nicht ship.

by most accounts it's *probably* an OAW built plane. Fokker seems a long shot according to multiple sources. If you want to convert an early fokker and do that particular ship (the red one with the candy cane stripes on the top wing) then Aviattic have parts available to convert it.