Author Topic: Well here's a new one!  (Read 1173 times)

Offline macsporran

Well here's a new one!
« on: March 11, 2022, 10:08:48 PM »
On a recent trip to "The Works" (A UK retail chain of books/arts/crafts) to pick up a new batch of paint brushes my eye was caught on the 3-for-£5 book pile, by a novel with a red Albatros Triplane on the cover! What's this? I thought.

I've just finished the whole superb series of Bernie Gunther novels by Philip Kerr and was looking for some light bedtime reading so I explored the pile and found another by same author - Max Hennessy - which were completely new to me - and quickly fell into my shopping basket.

So far the first book is proving a fairly predictable but very enjoyable read: early days learning on Longhorns and Caudrons (again appropriate as I've just bought the CSM kit) and progressing to the scarily fast BE2a!
I look forward to finding out if the Albatros Tripe actually figures in the second book or if it is just artistic licence by the illustrator.
I see from Amazon that there are three more novels in the series - all available digitally via KIndle, but the last three will be published in paperback in April.

Good read so far!
Sandy

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Well here's a new one!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 03:36:57 AM »
Nice find Sandy !

For the red tri albbie , that is artistic licence . It never went into production as from what I understand and only a few were built but yet , makes an interesting scheme for sure

Eduard has a 48 scale kit for the older days Hmmmmmm.........

Alexis 
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2022, 01:31:26 AM »
I just saw this. Philip Kerr was my favorite author. I miss Bernie terribly. Check out Ben Pastor and Luke McCallin for similar stories.

Steve

Offline macsporran

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2022, 04:07:42 AM »
Steve, try Blackout by Simon Scarrow - about a Kripo policeman in Berlin in 1940 - I felt Bernie Gunther was going to walk into frame at any moment!
Sandy

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 10:16:28 PM »
Thanks I will do that!!

Steve