Author Topic: RAF BE2c 1/24 Scale (Speculative, long term project)  (Read 4078 times)

Offline hrcoleman66

RAF BE2c 1/24 Scale (Speculative, long term project)
« on: February 16, 2022, 07:21:34 PM »
I've always loved the BE2c.  Who hasn't?
I have references coming out of my ears!

I thought It was time to join in this Scratch building lark and I couldn't think of any subject I'd rather tackle.

So the planning begins. 

Step one is to reproduce all references I have to 1/24 scale.

Step two is to work out how the hell I'm going to construct it...  Materials and such like.

I'm thinking that at this scale, I can almost get away with timber for the fuselage framing.  But I think the Wings will and up being solid Styrene, or at least Styrene sheet with a Balsa or other wood core.

Various details are going to be either fabricated from brass sheet and tube, or styrene or Resin 3D printed.

I've started experiments along the 3D print line wit hthe main fuel tank.

More soon (I'm busy drawing up the Gravity Fuel Tank at the moment).

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline Beto

Re: RAF BE2c 1/24 Scale (Speculative, long term project)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 09:02:58 PM »
I think I have something already done in 3D that could be useful for your project, if you plan to build an early BE2c. Please check this:

https://flic.kr/ps/3Y7oK2

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 09:20:04 PM »
I think I have something already done in 3D that could be useful for your project, if you plan to build an early BE2c. Please check this:

Oh my god!  Would you be prepared to share the files?  I’d even be prepared to purchase them!  Your time and effort are worth payment!

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline Beto

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 01:16:05 AM »

Oh my god!  Would you be prepared to share the files?  I’d even be prepared to purchase them!  Your time and effort are worth payment!

Cheers,

Hugh

Of course, just PM me with your email address and I will send them to you for free. I made two sets, one for 1/32 that can be scaled to 1/24 and another one more detailed for the 1/8 version I plan to build. The smaller version have thicker (and less) cooling fins, otherwise it would be unprintable.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 03:32:31 AM »
What a fantastic project, consider me subscribed and patiently awaiting further updates. A BE in 1/24 should make for an impressive model with scope for lots of detail, which I think you're covering well already!
Zac in NZ

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022, 07:30:53 AM »
Welcome to the scratch builders section: you will find the project easier than you might imagine!

It would seem that the BE 2 series has at last got the recognition that it deserves on the forum - even if all three projects are scratch builds.

I for one will be following along.

Stephen.

Offline Beto

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2022, 09:49:49 AM »
Welcome to the scratch builders section: you will find the project easier than you might imagine!

It would seem that the BE 2 series has at last got the recognition that it deserves on the forum - even if all three projects are scratch builds.

I for one will be following along.

Stephen.

I predict that in a few months we will see a few 1/32 BE2c's being built from the upcoming Lukgraph kit.  ;)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2022, 06:20:32 AM »
Tagging along on this one  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2022, 02:45:59 PM »
So, I've been doing trial prints of Beto's files.
Complete success with the Block, sump and Magneto, but still working on successfuly printing the Cylinders.  I did get them to print 99% complete this morning, but one of the induction ports failed due to the support not attaching correctly.  Clean up is also a PITA.  The Cylinder parts are very fragile.  And keeping them in one piece while getting rid of all the print supports is a real bear!  I think I will end up printing the cylinders a few times just so I have some pares in case of breakages.

Beto's files are VERY detailed!  Lots of fine detail which means that the files need to be very carefully orientated to ensure that the details are preserved.

I'm learning a LOT about 3D resin printing!!!

Magneto.

The flywheel.  In the back ground you can see my first failed print of the cylinders.

The Sump.

Crank Case.

Cheers,

Hugh
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 06:47:40 PM by hrcoleman66 »

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2022, 01:51:20 AM »
Those parts look most impressive. It looks as though your project may move a little more quickly than originally anticipated.

Stephen.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2022, 02:40:15 AM »
A very, very promising start Hugh!
Zac in NZ

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2022, 06:55:12 PM »
Thanks to everyone joining in.

I've been trying to get the cylinders to print successfully, and completely over thinking it!

A few failed prints early in the piece have had me adding supports everywhere to try to ensure a decent result...  and The supports have just been getting in the way of this part. 

Beto lined up the two banks of cylinders facing each other and designed to print straight on the build plate.  He says he didn't use ANY supports so I tried directly on the build plate with only a light support for each induction port.  I also printed three sets of all eight cylinders so that if there was a problem with any of them, I'd be sure to get eight good ones...  That was the plan anyway.

And here is the result.  There is some warping of the tie rods, but I think that might be from my over zealous clean up with the old Isopropyl Alcohol spray bottle...

They have settled somewhat over time.

Beto certailnly knew what he was doing when he drew these up!

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline Beto

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2022, 09:52:46 PM »
Glad you printed them successfully!! - Meanwhile I'm struggling with my 1/8 scale version... where the cooling fins are not simplified (I modeled half of the fins at double thickness for the 1/32 and 1/24 versions) and I had to model a lot of supports, but they are located inside the valleys between the cooling fins, so they will be easy to remove with a thin resin saw.

A final note for all 3D modelers/printers: It's much better to add the supports when making your model rather than letting Chitubox or the slicing software of your choice do his own thing. I use Chitubox strictly for slicing, not for adding supports.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2022, 02:12:17 AM »
They look great Hugh, good save!

Meanwhile I'm struggling with my 1/8 scale version...
As I type this the radio is playing an Iron Maiden song entitled "Can I Play With Madness?"  ;D
Zac in NZ

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2022, 05:31:35 AM »
Those engine cylinders look super. Amazing how such small details can be achieved!

Stephen.