Author Topic: 3D Resin Printing  (Read 1463 times)

Offline hrcoleman66

3D Resin Printing
« on: February 11, 2022, 05:48:15 PM »
So, apart from a question a few threads below, I can't find any discussion here regarding the use of (home) 3D Resin Printers.  I purchased an Anycubic Photon last year but it sat in a cupboard because I was frankly scared of it.  Yesterday though, I fired it up and printed a test file and was VERY impressed with the resolution and the finish.

Creating CAD models is probably going to take as long as Scratch building from Styrene would be, but once done, there is no limit to the number of parts you could print off.

Just wandering if anyone else is swimming in this particular pool.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline MoFo

Re: 3D Resin Printing
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 01:37:10 AM »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 05:43:22 AM by MoFo »

Offline Edo

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 05:55:54 PM »
me too! I have an Elegoo Mars 2 and I find that the quality is very impressive. It is not all gold anyway....
my learning curve is still steep ahead, but to my experience the most difficult aspects are:
- design and sculpting, more the last one
- finding good software that does not cost a fortune given I am not a pro
- finding good models to download: seems nothing exists other then elves and trolls....
- even though the printer can handle very fine lines and planes it is difficult to handle them afterwards, so the problem it is not the printer but my 1.0 hands...

ciao
edo

p.s. have a look to my Bleriot model, if you wish, it is a ‘multi-media kit’  ;) with some 3d printed parts too...

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 09:35:40 AM »
Hi Mofo,  I has seen your Draken Baloon, but had completely forgotten about it.  Nice work on the Baskets!!!

Hi Edo,  Beautiful Bleriot.  And some very handy hints and tips there as well.  Do I detect a slight misalignment in your machine somewhere?  All your prints look to be slightly slanted.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline Edo

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 05:13:34 PM »
hey Hugh!
you are right.... I thing it was due to a too long an exposure time. I used 6 secs, now it is 3 and it seems ok
there are a lot of variables to consider and to me it is still a bit black magic...
 ;)

ciao
edo

Offline aircooled

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 10:30:48 PM »
For 3D modeling I'd recommend Fusion 360. It's free, has a huge user base, and a ton of instructional videos. It's also very intuitive which is not a small thing either.

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 09:06:29 AM »
For 3D modeling I'd recommend Fusion 360. It's free, has a huge user base, and a ton of instructional videos. It's also very intuitive which is not a small thing either.

Hi Aircooled,

I have access to Solidworks which I use in my work, but working in it, I need to be logged on to my office, which means I'm also available for anyone in our global team to hassle me.

I'll check out Fusion360.  I've seen lots of people using it and wondered what the deal is.  My ancient personal Laptop might struggle though.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2022, 09:07:28 AM »
hey Hugh!
you are right.... I thing it was due to a too long an exposure time. I used 6 secs, now it is 3 and it seems ok
there are a lot of variables to consider and to me it is still a bit black magic...
 ;)

ciao
edo

Hey Edo,

Yes, I am learning this.  What Printer are you using?  What Resin?

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline Edo

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 04:40:23 PM »
hi Hugh!
I am using an Elegoo Mars 2 with standard grey resin.
I had no issue with it from the start, but then, all of a sudden, I began to have failure prints.... so 8 run some test, reduced the curing time and it turned out that the support were too thin.
Now I have other  issues regarding the file size (I guess) as if I try to upload files heavier then 20gb the print either continues to reboot itself, or, reached 30-40% of the print process stuck and stops.... I’ll run another session today and let you know how it goes...

what about you? have you tried to print something yet?

ciao
edo

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2022, 07:17:33 PM »
Hey Edo,

No, only the test piece so far.  I only returned to work today after two weeks of leave and had 260 plus emails to address...  SO I didn't get any design time. 

Currently downloading Fusion 360 onto this laptop (I use this one for all my personal CAD/Slicing/Lasercutting etc needs).

I want to design something I'm going to actually use and print for a good reason.  Resin is far to expensive to waste!

Currently printing a few bits for my wife on my Anycubic Filament printer though...   ;)

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2022, 03:25:10 PM »
Well, Here's my proof of concept.  If this works OK, I'll try more.

CHeers,

Hugh

Offline Edo

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2022, 04:33:59 PM »
in the mean time, I discovered what was the issue with big files: the pen drive had to be re formatted and some “issues” fixed. At least this is what Windows told me.... anyway, now it works ok, I’ll show some pictures soon!
ciao
edo

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2022, 06:26:59 PM »
Well, today was a day of triumph mixed with failure.

I printed the slice from the previous post and it came out almost perfect.  I discovered that trying to print webs 0.15mm thick was probably a bit too ambitious, although 0.25mm seems robust and repeatable.  The 0.15mm is just too close to nothing given the pixel size on my screen is 0.05mm.  The two prints came out ok apart from this.  And rivets are the same, 0.15mm rad and 0.15mm high gets lost in the surface texture, and although in a certain light, they can be discerned, I think probably best made a tad larger, or left off all together.

I went back to the file and changed the Web thicknesses to 0.25 mm and tried another print.  Twice, the Resin stuck fast to the FEP.  Couldn't get it to stick to the build plate no way no how.

I have releveled the build plate and will try again tomorrow.  And I need to invest in some solid grey resin!

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2022, 06:38:03 PM »
And in case any body has questions about what this is supposed to be...

https://thevintageaviator.co.nz/projects/aircraft/be2-aircraft/be2f-reproduction?page=0%2C1

in 1/24 scale.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2022, 03:02:15 AM »
Looking good, Huge.
 ::) ::)

Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/