Author Topic: New book: Memoirs of German Pilots in the First World War -- Aeronaut Books  (Read 852 times)

Offline crouthaj

Dear Forumites,
I'd like to announce the publication of a new book, 'Memoirs of German Pilots in the First World War: Buddecke, von Tutschek and Gontermann' (Aeronaut Books):

https://www.amazon.com/Memoirs-German-Pilots-First-World/dp/1953201423/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3ADVEFAEHCQH2&keywords=jason+crouthamel&qid=1644160432&sprefix=jason+crouthamel%2Caps%2C115&sr=8-1

This volume includes for the first time complete, new translations of three memoirs by German pilots of the First World War. These include Buddecke’s memoir 'The Hunting Falcon' (published in 1918), von Tutschek’s 'Attacks and Aerial Victories' (also published in 1918), and Gontermann’s 'Flying Lieutenant Gontermann', his letters, notes and diaries, which were published by his grandfather shortly after the war.

I'm the translator of the memoirs and I provided introductions to the pilots and the significance of their memoirs.  I chose these particular pilots because complete translations aren't available to English-speaking readers, and they  offer a unique glimpse into the  language, psychology, and emotions of front-line pilots who describe how they were profoundly affected by the experience of aerial combat.

Included in its 144 pages are 74 photos (6 in color), and 9 color aircraft profiles.

Thanks to Jack Herris for his expertise as the editor at Aeronaut books.

Enjoy!
Jason Crouthamel

Offline Big Sky Modeler

Thanks for letting us know!

Online WD

Thank you Jason, on my wish list now.

WD

Offline crouthaj

Glad to hear it!  Volume 2 is in the works (hope to release by the end of the year) -- it will contain memoirs by Schaefer, Boehme, Willy Rosenstein, and possibly one more.  Hope you enjoy this new series!

Best wishes,
Jason

Offline IanB

I will certainly add that to my list. Thanks for letting us know about it!

Ian