Author Topic: Anatra DS "Anasal"  (Read 1206 times)

Offline IanB

Anatra DS "Anasal"
« on: January 07, 2013, 02:38:35 AM »
I have the Emhar kit of this aircraft in 1:72 scale, but need some information.
 The kit has 2 options, both post-war Czech aircraft, although one is an ex Austro-Hungarian C.1 with the LFT nr. still on the fuselage. I would like to model it in original Russian Air Service markings and fittings which is where my problems arise:

1) This aircraft was fitted with a forward firing, synchronised Vickers - how and where was it mounted?
2) I have seen referances stating the observers weapon was also a Vickers, which certainly matches photos I've seen of the D, but others state it was a Lewis. Most likely it could have been either, but does anyone have any details of the mounting - it seems it was a pretty simple one.
3) Was there any specific time when the exhaust switched from inside the cowling, behind the engine, to outside the cowling? Was this change only for the unarmed trainers supplies to the Austro-Hungarians? That would make sense, as the external exhaust would make fitting a forward firing MG very awkward!

Plans would also be welcome - I have the Austro-Hungarian Army Aircraft book which has basic 3-views, but of the unarmed version.....these would be particularly welcome as the kit wingspan scales up to that of the DSS, not the DS - 5mm differance is quite a bit and I need to know where the error is...

Almost all the pics I've seen have been either Austro-Hungarian or Czech post-war aircraft, all unarmed. The few of Russian aircraft don't show the details I need!

Thanks for any help!

Ian

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Anatra DS "Anasal"
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 03:43:19 AM »
re: #3 -- I assumed the exhaust switch coincided with the switch from the rotary to the radial, but I am far from expert on this...

I hope you share what you learn, looking forward to seeing your build log on this obscure beastie.

PS I am sure you are aware there is a survivor in Prague... but in case not...  maybe a forum member from that corner of the globe can help with photos.

do you have these?

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 07:34:56 AM »
  Ian,
The Anasal sounds like another outstanding project in the making my old friend. I believe there's some information on the type in one of the early Windsock magazine,maybe even a few drawings as well.I'll check through my old W/S magazines and let you know.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline IanB

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 10:22:10 AM »
Thanks guys, looking forward to reaping the benefits of this!
 Bo - yes I am aware of the Czech example, but as stated, it is an ex Austro-Hungarian aircraft and is unarmed. Some useful details, but not on the armament. I'm not aware that these aircraft were ever fitted with a rotary engine, only the Cantonne-Unne radial.

Ian