Author Topic: 1:32nd scale Sopwith 'Comic' conversion  (Read 8269 times)

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
Re: 1:32nd scale Sopwith 'Comic'
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2022, 08:50:55 PM »
Ah you've got my interest now.
I've always been fascinated by the Comic Camel and have long thought of converting a WNW - only put off now by the rarity and value of the Wingnut Camels I've got left! Had thought of working on a Hobbycraft one but not got quite the enthusiasm for that kit!

Way back in the 90s I hacked a Blue Max F.1 into a Comic in 1/48 - another 44Sqdn Hainault machine, (I chose B4614, flown by LT WE Nicholson because it was painted in the curious shade of green (not PC10, or 12) developed by the family paint company of one of the pilots.)

But your 1/32 WNW conversion offers much more scope.
Avidly watching.
Sandy

Hi Sandy,
Here's the description of this aircraft from my build log:

Originally this aircraft was originally built as a Sopwith ‘Camel’ by ‘Ruston, Proctor & Co. Ltd.’ On its conversion to the ‘Comic’ design, the aircraft was painted with a dark green dope, which
according to Sgt. E.J. Mills, an former member of the ground crew on No.44 Squadron (HD), was close to Methuen 27F8. This paint was prepared at the Squadron under the supervision of Lt. W.E. Nicholson, who family owned part of the ‘Jensen & Nicholson Ltd’ paint manufacturers. The undersides of the wings, fuselage, tail plane and elevator were Clear Doped Linen (CDL). The
fuselage forward plywood panels were ‘Copal’ varnished. The fuselage forward metal panels,
engine cowl and white areas of the roundels on the upper wing and fuselage were smeared with the dark green dope, to reduce their night visibility. The fuselage roundels had a larger red centre disc and white border, with no outer blue ring. The fin was a dark blue colour with the serial
number B2402 in white with dark grey shading. The centre stripe of the rudder marking was not white, but left in the dark green dope colour. A  broad stripe was applied to each side of the
fuselage roundel, the colour of which was most likely smeared white. These stripes were not
applied under the fuselage. A pennant steamer was attached to the trailing edge of the rudder, but its actual colouring in not known.

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline James Reagan

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2022, 06:58:15 AM »
Some nice information here about the Sopwith Comic.  I have a Hobbycraft Camel  with the Clerget engine.   I plan to remove the engine  as I understand it will fit the Meng Fokker Triplane kit.  The Hobbycraft  kit might be perfect for conversion.  I don't have a spare Winnuts kit I could use. Maybe some aftermarket enterprise could consider making a Comic conversion for the 1/32 scale kits.  I'm looking forward to future postings on the above subject.  Incidentally you can usually  find the Hobbycraft kit for sale on the internet.

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2022, 08:51:40 AM »
Hi James,
It's an aircraft that wasn't produced in great numbers, only between 100 and 150 in total.
As such it's a bit too niche I think for and mainstream company to take on producing a conversion kit.
That said, smaller garage outfits could take it on, but only in resin probably.
Yes a cheaper Camel kit would be a better option.
I have an Academy kit, but decided to us a WNW kit as I have a couple in my stash,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2022, 09:31:49 AM »
Hi all,
The cockpit so far.
The details of what was done is a bit lengthy to post here.
However, it will all be in my build log once the model is finished.

Basically:
The cockpit decking panel was cut a the rear used to create the new panel.
Instrument panel cut and attached to a plastic card curved former.
A box of two forward former's was made and attached to the rear of the engine bulkhead.
The fuel tank and rudder bar attached to the lower wing.
Foot boards modified with the control column.
Seat frame cut and a 'Barracuda' resin seat attached.
False firewall added behind the pilots seat.
Left cockpit side frame - throttle assembly moved one bay rearwards - vertical and horizontal structure added with plastic rod and strip.
Right cockpit side frame - pressure pump moved one bay rearwards - vertical and horizontal structure added with plastic rod and strip.
Revised fuselage forward decking panel (x2) cut and shaped from 0.2 mm thick plastic card (will be be fitted over the added fuselage former's after closing the fuselage.

There's still other detail to add to the cockpit after painting (wires, cables and pipes etc)

Mike

Sopwith 'Camel and Comic' overlay (side profiles).

« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 08:52:59 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2022, 10:13:13 AM »
Really impressive work Mike. LOOKING fantastic!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2022, 12:06:15 PM »
   Brilliant effort so far Mike, and I really like how you seem to be staying with or close to the original engineering as I envisioned the modifications ..... strictly "Bay by Bay". Looking really good!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline FAf

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2022, 04:35:10 PM »
Impressive work and, as always, such nice descriptions of the build! Very nice to tag along!
/Fredrik

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2022, 12:17:04 AM »
Quite an interesting modification, Mike.   Should be a neat project.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2022, 04:17:36 AM »
It looks just like a bought one: you could tell me this was a Comic moulding and I'd believe you easily. Excellent scale engineering skills!

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2022, 07:55:40 AM »
Hi all,
I've been having issues with the host server I use for my model web site (in my signature link).
I'll get it back up and running soon (I hope),

Mike

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2022, 07:04:58 PM »
Just like this? Cut, moved, added... it all sounds so simple. Neat and perfect work all around.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2022, 05:46:10 AM »
Hi all,
I've been having issues with the host server I use for my model web site (in my signature link).
I'll get it back up and running soon (I hope),

Mike

Sorted  :)

Mike

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2022, 09:41:08 AM »
Nice work so far Mike

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2022, 12:55:47 AM »
Hi all,
Just a quick update.
The fuselage has been closed with the modifications included.
All painted and decals applied.
Some pipes (lead wire) and control rods and rudder/elevator wires (blackened micro-tubes) added.
Now I need to blend the joints before fitting the scratch made forward decking panels,

Mike

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2022, 04:14:13 AM »
Great update Mike, and really impressive quality of work!
Cheers,
Lance