Author Topic: Roden Albie rolling off the assembly line  (Read 11546 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Roden Albie rolling off the assembly line
« on: January 17, 2022, 02:11:41 AM »
I've been wanting to do a plane that has a lot of wood grain, so an Albie was a natural choice.  I couldn't decide what livery to do, so I have decided to depict one that just came from the factory, without unit markings.
The Roden Albatros D.III is my victim here.

I have collected a few aftermarket items over the recent years - HGW seatbelts, wood grain decals, and nail lines, Tom's Modelworks P/E, and Lukasz from Taurus Models was kind enough to include some rocker arms and valve springs as freebies in a previous order that included an ignition switch.  The arms and springs are for a BMW engine, but they certainly look better than the Roden moldings.  So, my model may not be 100% accurate, but it will look better than OOB.

I started on the engine.
Here, I have drilled holes for the valve springs.

And installation.

I also revised the cooling water piping to the cylinders.  The kit engine looks like its a Merc IIIa, where this plane has the III.  I didn't take any pictures of this modification specifically, but its visible in the last picture.  I still have some plumbing to do to connect it up.  The water pipe from the radiator looks to be going to the wrong place as well.  It should go to the water pump intake, not into the crankcase.
Next, I tackled the rocker arms.  I cut off the molded ones and decided to do this the easy way.  I found a saw that cut a kerf at just the right width for the rocker arms to mount into.

I CA'ed the arms in place.  I plan to cover the tops of the valve covers with painted aluminum tape to hide the slots.

I decided to try to include the slotted nuts that hold the intake manifold to the cylinders.  I first took some soft wire and bent it around a drill bit of the appropriate size to make the rings.  This worked well, but the rings did not have the slots in them, used to tighten the rings up.  I was on the right track, but needed to go further.

This took some thought as to how to make them.  I noticed that some pliers have parallel slotted grips and thought I could use this as a stamp to imprint some soft wire with notches.  I cut some soft wire into short lengths, placed the opened pliers on top of the wire, and struck it with a hammer.  If the pliers were not positioned correctly, one end of the wire was too flattened and the other end not imprinted enough.  After a few attempts and some practice, I could get some useable pieces of wire.  If I hit the pliers with a hammer with too much force, it flattened the wire too much.

This worked out close enough.

I then made the ignition wires.  The spark plugs needed some help, so I cut off the molded ones and glued in some simulated bolts, turned around so the long end was out.  With a little painting, this also worked okay.

So this is where I am at the moment.  Still working on the magnetos.  What I have done may not be 100% accurate, but its an upgrade from the kit parts.

Thanks for looking.

Offline Kamil Zoszak

Re: Roden Albie rolling off the assembly line
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 02:42:16 AM »
Don't stop.... Don't stop... Please

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 03:01:59 AM »
That is a huge improvement on the kit parts. Minor details will pass unnoticed by most observers so 100% accuracy will not matter.

Stephen.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 03:49:38 AM »
What I have done may not be 100% accurate, but its an upgrade from the kit parts.
Minor details will pass unnoticed by most observers so 100% accuracy will not matter.
I agree with Stephen - accurate or not, it looks exquisite to me! Beautiful work, and what a serendipitous discovery regarding the pliers - very crafty!
Zac in NZ

Offline WD

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 04:34:16 AM »
Wonderful work so far!

WD

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 06:04:23 AM »
Great detailing, the engine is spectacular! The manifold nuts are sheer genius; I've used the now dated Taurus ones and they are a touchy operation, I am amazed at your "scratched" results. Looking mighty fine thus far.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 10:15:21 AM »
Nice work on the couplings for the exhaust Ken  ;)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline DaveB

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 07:35:15 PM »
What great detailing to the engine!

Looking forward to following this one

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Bughunter

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 11:36:38 PM »
What a wonderful start of a new project, with all that nice details!
I'm following.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline kensar

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 12:37:51 AM »
Thank you, friends, for the nice comments.  I hope to keep you entertained with further updates.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 01:32:35 PM »
Gorgeous details Ken. Once again you are showing us just how good the Roden Alabatros DIII can look.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2022, 02:17:21 AM »
Ken - the work on the engine is absolutely brilliant. That tip for making the knurled rings with the pliers is great, by the way.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2022, 09:42:31 AM »
Looks at watch , is it still coffee break Ken ?  ;D

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kensar

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2022, 11:00:00 PM »
 ;D  I've been slacking - somewhat.

I have been slowly working on the fuselage and innerds.  I did basic painting and then tried your technique of adding woodgrain with colored pencils, which looks okay.  Guess you'll want pictures, huh?

I'm still researching the interior details, but there's not a lot to add to the kit that will be visible.

There are quite a few parts in my kit that are badly warped, so I'm having to deal with that too.

I'll get some pictures up soon.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2022, 01:17:10 AM »
Looking forward to some progress you "Slacker"  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler