Author Topic: Which 1/48 SE.5a kit?  (Read 683 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Which 1/48 SE.5a kit?
« on: January 12, 2022, 04:53:53 AM »
Hi all,
I've recently reconsidered my approach to Great War subjects and, to fit in with my other warbird models, I'm looking more at 1/48. Having been drawn into 1/32 by Wingnut Wings and other firms I haven't paid attention to what's out there in the smaller scale and so have some catching-up to do.

I want to build "F5690"/"Wanganui", the first of TVAL's modern flying reproductions. This is a Hisso aircraft so I was wondering whether the Eduard or Roden kits offer the best balance of price, accuracy and build experience.

Any and all advice is most welcome.

Bughunter

Re: Which 1/48 SE.5a kit?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 05:34:30 AM »
Zac, that is clearly the Eduard one!
It was released 2017, is a very modern kit and looks like a little WNW. As far as I remember this was a kit released to company anniversary so they wanted to show what is possible.

I got the Royal kit as birthday present, added some accessories and built one of both. It has many optional parts and the engineering is fanatastic! You remember the Hispano Suiza engineering I showed you some days ago? That was that kit.

Another example of that kit are the struts, with a solution I have seen nowhere else!
The inner struts are very nice formed ...

... so it fits perfectly in the correct angels into the fuselage.

For more please see my build report, only 5 pages:
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9848.0

I'm sure you will have fun with it! That is kit wise the best biplane I have built so far.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 06:02:03 AM »
Thanks Frank, it may have been your build that inspired me! Thanks for the link and info!

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 07:39:14 PM »
If it helps, Revell Germany also did a kind of weekend-edition style re-release of the Eduard kit. Might be easier/cheaper to get, though I'm unsure if it's the right version.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2022, 05:05:30 AM »
If it helps, Revell Germany also did a kind of weekend-edition style re-release of the Eduard kit. Might be easier/cheaper to get, though I'm unsure if it's the right version.
Thanks Jeroen, that's really helpful to know (and I love that Revell does this!) I shall investigate.