Author Topic: Replacement buckles in the post Bob world.  (Read 2256 times)

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: Replacement buckles in the post Bob world.
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2024, 07:16:09 PM »

And here my wife helped me with a donation to my tool batch. An ancient tool used years ago to repair the "falling eyes" in then precious stockings. The hook is smaller but also with a smaller diameter.

Also this tool looks amazing Prze! Do you or anyone know the name og the tool?
May have to ask my wife as it looks knitting related  :)

As far as I know knitting uses straight rods. Such a hooky tool is used for crotcheting. But those for crotcheting have usually a thicker hook - my wife has a couple of those but they are useless for our eyelets.
And this very tool I showed seems to be something special for Poland. In 1960s-1990s stockings were so expensive that they were repaired when the holes occured in them - that tool allowed to repair the "dropped" threads to be woven back. There were plenty of such service posts around the country. Nowadays it does not pay off to repair, as the stockings are cheap and the workmanship is not.
I am afraid it will be hard to find a name in English. A hooked needle with a pawl - it is what it is roughly called in this Polish text on that ancient profession:
http://www.ginacezawody.com.pl/repasacja/
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Online macsporran

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2024, 07:32:12 PM »

And here my wife helped me with a donation to my tool batch. An ancient tool used years ago to repair the "falling eyes" in then precious stockings. The hook is smaller but also with a smaller diameter.

Also this tool looks amazing Prze! Do you or anyone know the name og the tool?
May have to ask my wife as it looks knitting related  :)

As far as I know knitting uses straight rods. Such a hooky tool is used for crotcheting. But those for crotcheting have usually a thicker hook - my wife has a couple of those but they are useless for our eyelets.
And this very tool I showed seems to be something special for Poland. In 1960s-1990s stockings were so expensive that they were repaired when the holes occured in them - that tool allowed to repair the "dropped" threads to be woven back. There were plenty of such service posts around the country. Nowadays it does not pay off to repair, as the stockings are cheap and the workmanship is not.
I am afraid it will be hard to find a name in English. A hooked needle with a pawl - it is what it is roughly called in this Polish text on that ancient profession:
http://www.ginacezawody.com.pl/repasacja/

I think the item is called a Loop Turner.

The idea is that a dropped stitch or a snag can be caught by the loop's hook on the way through a garment but then the little hinged arm shields the hook on the way back out, so only the dropped/snagged thread is brought back through.

I got one from ebay UK recently from a company called Milward, but the Prze's Polish one seems to have a much finer guage hook. Not sure how good the ebay one will be, but it may have other applications! - not sure if UK link will work
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364522675303   
Sandy

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2024, 09:30:59 PM »
I think the item is called a Loop Turner.

Loop turner. That makes perfect sense, thank you Sandy, for this input!  :)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Nigttr

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2024, 10:09:12 PM »
The smaller tools are called Latch Hooks. I recently picked one up from eBay. The small ones are used for wigs, but you have to be careful to check the sizes on the description. It does produce nice small loops, but I do actually get smaller better loops from a modified spring from a ballpoint pen, held in a pin vice.

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2024, 05:03:15 PM »
Thank you for the answer!

I did try to find the "hooks" using my wife's help (in Danish), but had trouble finding something smaller than a 0.5mm hook. Ill keep looking and the new search terms you provided may help  :)
//Ben