Author Topic: Spad XIII Early 1/32 Roden Speaking Italian  (Read 6978 times)

Offline jeroen_R90S

Re: Spad XIII Early 1/32 Roden Speaking Italian
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2022, 06:15:48 PM »
Then the picture must hide the sins, looks pretty good on a screen from the other side of the globe :) I really like this scheme too, and can't wait to start mine, though scheme-wise I'm undecided yet. There are so many great schemes to choose from!

Jeroen

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2022, 06:21:31 PM »
Oh Marc, you are cruising! Huge steps forward. And I see that 13 kit has the same sins as 7 - filling and sanding inevitble... I continue to watch with interest!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2022, 12:59:31 AM »
Excellent progress Marc! It looks like you got a better fit on the front cowling parts than I did. I am looking forward to the next update!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2022, 03:29:20 AM »
Great progress, Marc.  Getting the fuselage closed up is a significant milestone.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2022, 04:19:02 AM »
Great progress, Marc.  Getting the fuselage closed up is a significant milestone.
And one that's rapidly approaching for my own build. Excellent work Marc, you're an inspiration to this fellow SPADer!
Zac in NZ

Bughunter

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2022, 04:38:18 AM »
Marc, is the engine visible at all from outside?
Or is it only need to hold the exhaust? ;)

Good work!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2022, 06:31:13 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up Marc, I think I'm about ready to put together the engine mount-cockpit "pod" so I will take care with my dryfitting.
Famous last words  ;D
Zac in NZ

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2022, 08:00:41 AM »
Nice progress Marc and excellent job on getting the top decking to fit  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Monty

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2022, 11:52:12 PM »
Hi Jeroen, Thank you for the vote of confidence! Errors are there, this build will not be as good as some others... Hi Przemo, yes it has a whole lot of small fit problems to fix, but I tackle them slowly. I will definitely need; primer, sand, putty fix, primer, repeat! But the detail seems OK... so it is just like normal modelling... Thank you for checking in.  Hi Rick, I think I just got lucky there with the cowling.. Thank you for your positive encouragement! It does seem the top cowling and metal upper deck parts overhang the sides a little bit on the real aircraft, so I will be happy with this... Hi Ken, thanks for the  thought because closing up the fuselage has made progress... Hi Zac, I really hope I can help your build along, I'm only a little ahead of you - with my own trials and tribulations! But the positive feedback makes the blog just so worthwhile... Hi Frank, the engine is gone! I had a bad moment where I realized I forgot to paint the cylinder blocks black, but I see that with the exhausts in place any inside view will be...black! I'm going with other builders on this, too! Hi Alexis! Your encouragement is always so welcome!

Well, this first picture shows that I lost the axle spreader bar... so make a new one! 40 thou card, 7,5mm wide and 33 mm long, file to aerofoil shape... this will fit nicely between the legs, I will add rib detail and of course I now need to scratch axles and bungee springs and mounts... should be doable for these old eyes...

The fuselage is coming along, some sanding, fixing and a few cracks fixed with superglue. I got the tailplane glued, just be careful to get it "square" in 3 dimensions - I needed to trim the mounting pins a bit, file and adjust... Also have the top wing together with ailerons. Once again I found that careful filing, removing moulding lines, checking everything and mating surfaces were square, sanding and check again and when it's all glued up Very little putty is required.... It's easier to assemble each side of three pieces at once, let it dry, then tackle the other side...

This does feel like progress again!
Regards, Marc

Offline DaveB

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2022, 02:22:53 AM »
Good work here and great progress!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2022, 04:04:01 AM »
Excellent progress Zac. Your SPAD is looking Terrific!
RAGIII

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2022, 05:39:11 AM »
She's shaping up great Marc! I see your turtledeck/fuselage fits well - I think I misassembled mine, resulting in an overhang to fix.

RAGIII
This is Marc's, not mine!  ;D ;D
Zac in NZ

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2022, 05:55:15 AM »
She's shaping up great Marc! I see your turtledeck/fuselage fits well - I think I misassembled mine, resulting in an overhang to fix.

RAGIII
This is Marc's, not mine!  ;D ;D

Dang, That's the second time I have done this! Sorry Marc!
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2022, 09:10:38 AM »
Coming along excellent so far Marc , after this build you will be a professional builder ! ;)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Monty

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2022, 10:44:31 PM »
Thank you all for the comments! I'm far from professional, Alexis, and would probably starve if I tried to do this commercially! But Thank you for the compliment! Maybe some rich Ferrari -  nut will offer me serious money for this one! Thank you Zac for the positive vibes! Hi Rick, great to have you looking in, too! Thank you for following along, Dave!

Well, today is tail feathers day, and here I have the elevators attached at a droopy angle, very common on Spads! I did remember to place the control column forwards, it may show in one of the previous pictures... Then I trimmed, trimmed and trimmed the fin until it fitted properly. The fit here needs to be close (Not like Sopwiths and Fokkers) so take a little time to work on the mating surfaces, those locating pins died in the fight! That blob in front of the fin is just a moulding defect filled with putty and sanded... I hope it doesn't show. I also cracked a fuselage to top piece join... flooded it with ACC and sanded it down... "sigh"...  Then I cleaned up the rudder, but will attach it later when painted ... I will do it when I do the underside green and red colours so all the paint matches...

Enjoy your modelling!

Regards,

Marc