Author Topic: Spad XIII Early 1/32 Roden Speaking Italian  (Read 6840 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: Spad XIII Early 1/32 Roden Speaking Italian
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2022, 07:36:24 AM »
It's looking fantastic Monty, and thank you for the colour swatch image. Now to match the top one (I like how it looks) to Tamiya acrylic bottles...

The interior is shaping up quite nicely Zak!
As much as I'd like to take credit for this beautiful work this is Monty's build!  ;D

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2022, 07:44:05 AM »
It's looking fantastic Monty, and thank you for the colour swatch image. Now to match the top one (I like how it looks) to Tamiya acrylic bottles...

The interior is shaping up quite nicely Zak!
As much as I'd like to take credit for this beautiful work this is Monty's build!  ;D

Yep, My Mistake for sure. Sorry Marc!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Monty

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2022, 02:04:50 AM »
Hi Rick! And Thank You for the photos of your build, so nice to have all the views, and yes, looks like the early scheme in the photos I have! (Don't worry about the name thing, I've done it myself - so easy in a thread with multiple responses!) Zac, if you're using Tamiya paints simply go to the WNW web site (still working OK) and look up the Salmson build - in the instructions section there are all the mixes - including how to add a bit of silver to the necessary colours! Then go to the "completed models" section to see how they look - if I remember correctly at least one modeller indicated he used the mixes... looks good to me! I'll probably do the same as I love Tamiya paints... Well, some more progress on the Spad, detail painting in the cockpit, touched up the fabric effect, still needs some washes and highlights... The seatbelts from the Eduard steel French set, looks OK to me for this build. Apparently only lap belts were used til quite late in the war... I've had a few fun days off, went to see my brand-new Granddaughter today too, but tomorrow is back to the grindstone, so progress will slow up...

Regards,

Marc

Offline DaveB

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2022, 03:53:49 AM »
Hello, Marc -

Great start on your Spad - interior looking good

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2022, 06:34:09 AM »
She's shaping up nicely Marc! Keep up the good work.
Zac, if you're using Tamiya paints simply go to the WNW web site (still working OK) and look up the Salmson build - in the instructions section there are all the mixes - including how to add a bit of silver to the necessary colours! Then go to the "completed models" section to see how they look - if I remember correctly at least one modeller indicated he used the mixes... looks good to me! I'll probably do the same as I love Tamiya paints...
Rick also pointed me to WNW, thank goodness the site and all its treasures are still up! I've saved the Salmson instructions pdf and will probably print the relevant pages for my SPAD.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2022, 01:02:48 PM »
Nice job on the wood effect Marc !  ;)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2022, 06:54:37 PM »
Very nice wood inside! Great to see you tackle this lovely kit, Marc. And I keep my fingers crossed for you to complete it ;)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2022, 01:47:56 AM »
Looking great Marc! I look forward to the next update!
RAGIII

Offline Monty

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2022, 05:05:09 AM »
Thank You everyone for checking in - it really helps me keep going! Thank You Dave for your comment. Zac, I don't think you will go far wrong with that! Alexis, thank you for your vote of confidence - your wood effects are stunning! Przemo, I am continually amazed at your ability to tackle really complex subjects - and push through to the end of the build. Not my personality type, I admit to a poor attention and boredom span! Rick, I will do my best.... To my surprise I managed to get off work a bit early and did some small steps - here I added washes and touch ups to the fuselage sides - I wanted the fabric effect to vary a little and indeed it did! The two fuselage halves are visually identical but vary somewhat in the photo!

And then after some dry fitting of the fuselage halves and the top (with the cockpit assembly in place) I realized the fuselage top was pushed up far too much by the ammo boxes - I would never get it all to mate up. The fuselage top is a really thick moulding, with prominent ejection pins, and really won't seat properly without some work. I removed the EP and thinned a lot in the region of the tip of the blade and scaped and filed a lot in that area... but not enough. Then I whacked the top of the ammo boxes off (seen on the right of the photo - grey plastic shows! It all fits a lot better after this reduction surgery... Next heart-stopping major operation soon!

Regards,
Marc

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2022, 06:56:28 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up Marc, I think I'm about ready to put together the engine mount-cockpit "pod" so I will take care with my dryfitting.

Offline FAf

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2022, 07:47:25 AM »
Looking really good! Lovely colours on both wood and fabric parts!
/Fredrik

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2022, 09:53:48 AM »
Continuing to be a very good build Marc! I am glad you have overcome the fit issue. It is funny how we all can run into things that others may not. but it is great to be forewarned!
RAGIII

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2022, 10:47:23 PM »
I had to do some shaving in this area also.  Do you have a gap between the top and sides at the front of the cowling?

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2022, 02:02:22 AM »
Super job on the fuselage sides Marc , I'm sure you will get the decking to fit  ;)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Monty

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2022, 04:40:38 AM »
Thank You everyone for checking in! It's been a busy week and not much time for this project - but a little progress has taken place! Zac, yes, some careful fitting needed, I haven't shown how I tackled the engine yet, but that needs some care... Thank You Fredrik for the vote of confidence! It helps! I seem to have picked up some problems of my own, Rick, but I think they are sorted! May have been my own fault... Ken, I'm not sure what fit area you are referring too, so I went ahead with a big dry fit and tape as you can see, and it seems OK... Thank You Alexis, yes I got the decking to fit!

Well, here is my dry fit plus tape, what you can't see are the under belly fuel tank and forward lower engine cowling but they fit very well too... I spent some time on this as I didn't want to hit a problem later...

I didn't post this earlier as it is a bad blurry photo, but it shows how I made a new prop shaft, thicker and stronger and longer that the kit one, and actually then glued it in place, it still fits through the cowling with a fairly tight fit, there is a reason for this...

I also thought I'd add these two earlier photos before I put the wings together, as with many kits there was some warp on the wings, just check the shadows near the leading edges...

I used simple finger pressure, bending and some warm water to straighten them out:

Seemed to work just fine! The grey pot just tilts the wing forward, and the wings seem to stay straight!

Enjoy your modelling!

Regards, Marc