Author Topic: Question on paints  (Read 675 times)

Offline Grant

Question on paints
« on: December 27, 2021, 01:53:07 AM »
As im slowing getting back into plastic modeling and looking at all the paint brands out there, my head is spinning 🙃 on what to choose.

I will be doing hand brush and air brush, so something that can be utilized either way would be great. Leaning toward acyrlic paints but I'm open to any an all advice. I know there are many different paints for different applications but just looking for a good starting point for paints that brush and spray easily.

Thanks!

Grant

Offline ColonelKrypton

Re: Question on paints
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 06:53:14 AM »
Grant,

Vallejo acrylics are very popular with figure painters and the more traditional modelers alike. The Vallejo story is an interesting one. Vallejo got it's start marketing to the professional artist market.

Model Color for brushing, Model Air for airbrushing and depending on you airbrush setup may be useable right out of the bottle.

Vallejo also have colors specifically marketed for the figure and fantasy painting market - Game Color and Game air.

Lots of colours to pick and choose from and of course you can always mix and match to suit.

Vallejo are a water based acrylic and you must use their thinner, retarder, and flow improver (etc) or similar compatible product BUT not Tamiya X-20A or any other alcohol based thinner or reducer.

Vallejo has an airbrush cleaner which seems to be nearly identical to their thinner and seems to work a bit better BUT start with their basics and experiment from there.

There are also AK Interactive acrylics, Citadel, and Humbrol but I have no first hand experience with those.

Offline Grant

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 09:38:13 AM »
Thank you, have not looked into that brand.
I used to use Tamiya Acyrlics but not sure if there is better products out there now a days or just stay with the Tamiya products.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 09:57:00 AM »
Hi Grant

As a brush painter I highly recommend Humbrol acrylics which go on beautifully without leaving brush marks if thinned a little (with water).

I'm told they can be airbrushed too but I have no experience of that side of them.

Vallejo Model Color is also great for brush work but needs a good primer as the paint can scratch off way too easily without a good base.

Personally I avoid Tamiya acrylics, a nightmare to brush with.

The Citadel range of acrylics devised for the Warhammer figures are great for brushing too and incidentally can be mixed with Humbrol acrylics.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Grant

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 10:32:01 AM »
I will research the product, and thank you for your insight on thier use. I have never used Humbrol paints before.